Chapter 8: Shadows and Thrones

Five years had passed since the earth-shattering discovery beneath the colossus, a moment that would forever alter Avaloria. The creatures that Alistair and Drak stumbled upon, now universally known as 'goblins,' had become the focus of intense study. The royal doctors and scholars had meticulously examined every aspect of the goblins' physiology, revealing their resilience and astonishing reproductive rate. This understanding shed light on the reason for their overwhelming numbers, a revelation that sparked a sense of intrigue and wonder in the hearts of all who heard.

In response, the kingdom had deployed numerous scout parties across the continent. These groups brought back reports of goblin sightings being disturbingly common, accompanied often by other, more formidable creatures. Some of these beings wielded strange powers, while others possessed terrifying strength, necessitating a complete rethink of the kingdom's defensive strategies.

Amidst these turbulent times, the royal succession took an unexpected turn. The princess was crowned queen, driven by a sense of duty and bolstered by her decisive leadership during the crisis. Alistair, ever the warrior, had willingly stepped aside. He had never aspired to the throne, his heart lying in the protection of the realm rather than its rule. As the queen's chief defender and commander of the royal forces, Alistair found his true calling, leading expeditions and training troops to face the myriad threats now known to roam beyond their borders. Under the queen's steadfast leadership, the kingdom stood firm, a beacon of resilience and hope in the face of adversity.

Under Queen Liara's reign, the kingdom witnessed a new era of strategic military advancements and alliances with neighbouring lands, which had also seen the unsettling emergence of similar creatures. Together, they fortified their cities and shared knowledge of these mysterious beings, forging a network of mutual support and intelligence.

Under her leadership, the kingdom strengthened its defences and expanded its scholarly pursuits. The royal library's bestiary section swelled with new entries: detailed accounts of each new creature encountered, strategies for their containment or eradication, and theories on their origins. The queen often consulted with Alistair and Drak, whose experiences on the front lines provided invaluable insights into the evolving landscape of their world.

As the years unfolded under Queen Liara's rule, her bond with Drak deepened beyond the realms of comradeship and strategic alliance. Their shared experiences in leadership and battle had forged a connection that gradually evolved into a profound love. While celebrated within Avaloria for the strength and unity it represented, neighbouring kingdoms viewed this union with suspicion and disdain. The blending of human royalty with an orc, even a hero of Drak's stature, challenged age-old prejudices and diplomatic norms.

The surrounding realms of Thaloria, Celduin, and Arkenridge, traditional in their views on royal lineage and alliances, were particularly vocal in their disapproval. Their rulers saw Liara's choice as a destabilizing factor in the delicate balance of power and tradition that had long governed their treaties and trade relationships. In response, Thaloria's monarch dispatched a messenger, riding swiftly on horseback, to Avaloria with a call for an urgent meeting. This summit was to include the rulers of all four kingdoms, aimed at discussing the ramifications of Avaloria's new dynastic direction and to reassess their alliances and positions in this rapidly changing world. The implications of this meeting were vast, setting the stage for negotiations that could either mend old rifts or forge deeper divides.

Queen Liara accepted the invitation to the summit with a firm sense of duty, aware of the delicate nature of the discussions that awaited her. She and Alistair travelled together to Thaloria, the vast kingdom known for its expansive landscapes and ancient, stately architecture. As they entered the kingdom, the air was filled with the scent of fresh pine and the cold nip of northern winds, a sharp contrast to the milder air of Avaloria. Thaloria was sprawling, its cities carved into the mountainsides, majestic and stern in their grey stone grandeur.