Chapter One

The story begins with a young man named Alistair. Alistair, the knight whose valour would become the stuff of legend, was born under the cloak of secrecy, a royal bastard with lineage tied to the throne. Alistair possesses an imposing figure, standing tall with broad shoulders that hint at his prowess as a knight. His hair, a rich shade of blonde, falls in waves just short of his shoulders, often giving him a somewhat untamed appearance that contrasts sharply with his disciplined nature. His eyes, a striking shade of blue, mirror the depths of the ocean—calm and serene at times but capable of stormy intensity when provoked. His features are noble and well-defined, bearing the subtle mark of his royal lineage despite the secrecy surrounding his birth. On the battlefield, his presence is commanding, his armour gleaming under the sun, a physical manifestation of his dedication to Avaloria and its people. Off duty, his attire is more subdued, yet he carries himself with an undeniable air of authority and grace, a knight not only by title but in spirit and action. His early years were marked by a duality of existence—the king recognised him privately as his son yet publicly acknowledged him as nothing more than a servant's child. Despite this, the blood of kings ran through his veins, a secret that shaped the course of his life in ways both seen and unseen.

Growing up in the castle's shadows, Alistair's childhood was intertwined with that of the prince and princess, his half-siblings. They were unaware of the true nature of their relationship, knowing Alistair only as a constant companion and friend. This closeness to the royal family afforded Alistair opportunities that were uncommon for a child of his official standing. He trained alongside the prince in the arts of war and diplomacy, his natural talent and determination quickly becoming apparent to all who watched them grow.

Alistair's skill with a sword was unmatched, and his strength and agility on the training field indicated his noble heritage. Yet, it was not just physical prowess that set him apart. Alistair possessed a keen mind and could navigate the complexities of court life with wisdom that belied his years. He was a quick study in war strategies, his insights often proving valuable during the royal war councils he was allowed to attend as a squire.

As Alistair strode through the castle's corridors, his armour echoing softly against the stone, he overheard whispers from the shadows, a constant reminder of his origin.

"A knight, yes, but remember, born from secrecy," murmured a courtier, his words laced with disdain.

Alistair paused, turning to face the whisperers, his gaze steady. "A man's worth isn't given by birth but by his deeds and the strength of his character," he responded calmly, his voice carrying the weight of his convictions.

One noble, emboldened by Alistair's challenge, stepped forward. "And yet, your deeds, Sir Alistair, do they not seek to overshadow your birth? To forget who you truly are?"

Alistair smiled, not out of amusement but with a depth of understanding honed by years of such encounters. "On the contrary, my birth reminds me every day of who I am and who I strive to be. It is not a shadow to escape but a foundation upon which I build. My honour, my loyalty to Avaloria—these are my own. Not inherited, not bestowed, but earned."

The noble looked taken aback, unable to counter the knight's words. As Alistair walked away, leaving the courtiers in silence, he felt the weight of their stares. But within him burned a fire, fueled not by the need for their acceptance but by the desire to prove that one's past does not dictate one's future.

Later, in the quiet of the training grounds, Alistair faced the prince, his half-brother, in a friendly spar. The prince, skilled in his own right, found it hard to land a hit.

"Your reputation precedes you, Alistair. The best knight on the continent," the prince said, panting as they paused.

Alistair lowered his sword, offering a hand to help the prince to his feet. "Titles are fleeting, Your Highness. I serve Avaloria, not for glory but for the good of its people. That is my duty, my honour."