Chapter 1.4 - Radar Development

The transport ship was loading weapons, aircraft, and various equipment purchased from Germany. Meanwhile, we decided to return home a little earlier. By using the Trans-Siberian Railway, we could return home in less than half the time compared to the ship. While the situation in Europe was becoming quite suspicious, the Trans-Siberian Railway in the Soviet Union was still operational. As long as we didn't need to transport large cargo, it was possible for personnel to return home earlier using the railway.

Even on the Soviet Siberian route, there was enough time for Captain Sanada and Major Satake to exchange opinions since electronic investigators from both the Army and Navy were together. They got along so well that their reports to be submitted after returning home ended up having almost identical content.

The most significant proposal in their reports was that efforts should be devoted wholeheartedly to the development of pulse-based radio detection devices. In our country, research has been focused on a method of transmitting modulated radio waves to detect objects by interfering with the reflected waves returning. However, it was found that the method of transmitting pulse waves and capturing the reflected waves was significantly more practical. They argued for switching to the pulse method for development.

Furthermore, they emphasized the need for two types of devices: one for long-range detection, with wavelengths ranging from tens of meters to about one meter, and another for precise measurement with wavelengths of less than one meter. They stressed the necessity of developing these devices concurrently.

Regarding the devices to be developed, they suggested starting with equipment for ground bases and large ships but proposed a development plan to advance towards the development of small devices in the future, enabling their installation on vehicles and aircraft. Additionally, based on insights gained in Germany, they mentioned the necessity of inverse detectors, which are related to detection devices, for detecting if the opponent is using similar radio detection devices and pinpointing the transmission position of the radio waves. Essentially, if radio detection devices could be realized, inverse detectors, which isolate the receiving part of the radio waves, could also be feasible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upon returning to Japan, I resumed my duty in the development of magnetrons, as assigned before my trip. Fortunately, the development had been progressing smoothly, and we had succeeded in achieving high-output radio waves exceeding 8 kilowatts, which was sufficient for use in radio detectors. After summarizing the experimental results, I reported to Rear Admiral Mukōyama, the head of the electrical department, who instructed me to obtain permission to transition to mass production from Vice Admiral Hidaka, the director of the research institute.

Captain Sanada and I visited the office of the Technical Research Institute Director and explained the current status of magnetron development.

"It seems you've finally achieved the performance level we've been aiming for with the transmitting tube. With this, the pulse-type radio detector that you've been urging for immediate development will also be closer to realization."

After briefly scanning through the reports, Vice Admiral Hidaka approved the documents. He returned the stamped report to me and then turned to us, seeming to have something else to say.

"Captain Sanada, regarding the increase in development costs and personnel for the detector that you directly requested, the Navy Ministry has approved additional budget allocations. It's in recognition of the investigation report on radar conducted in Europe. We'll immediately increase the budget and personnel accordingly. As a result, we'll establish a specialized section for detector development under the Electrical Research Department. You, Sanada-kun, will be the head of this section. The Navy Ministry demands quick results since we're allocating more funds and personnel. So, expedite the selection process for personnel. If needed, pull in talented researchers from naval factories and units. Additionally, participation from the private sector is permitted."