Prologue

The new flagship of the Combined Fleet, the Yamato, dropped anchor at Hashirajima.

Commander Wada, the communication staff officer, hurriedly entered the Commander-in-Chief's office.

"Commander-in-Chief Yamamoto, we have received an urgent message from the Navy Ministry."

"Very well. Patch them through."

Taking the receiver, he was immediately connected to the Navy Ministry.

"This is Minister of the Navy, Yonai. Moments ago, we received a report from the General Staff. It seems that the President of the United States is planning to declare war against our country. Based on intelligence activities, it is anticipated that the execution of this plan is imminent. If war breaks out, it would not be surprising if Japan's mainland is attacked by the Americans. Be prepared for attacks from the American military. However, this is not yet confirmed information."

Though Yamamoto didn't explicitly confirm it, he felt that this information must have been the result of code-breaking utilizing the Navy General Staff's computers. If so, then it must be quite accurate.

"Understood. I will immediately order my fleets to be on alert. Should I inquire for further details from the General Staff?"

Minister Yonai understood from Yamamoto's words about inquiring to the Navy General Staff what he was imagining. He responded in affirmation.

"Of course. Thanks to technological advancements, the General Staff has detailed information on the American Pacific Fleet. They should also be in contact with naval bases across the country. Coordinate with them as well."

The Admiral promptly ordered the staff of the Combined Fleet to assemble.

"Since last month, the situation with the United States has been increasingly precarious. It seems President Roosevelt has decided on war with our country. It's possible that a declaration of war could come at any moment now. There's a possibility of being attacked by the American military as soon as tomorrow. Spread the word urgently to all fleets."

Feeling the weight of Yamamoto's gaze, Chief of Staff Ugaki explained the situation.

"We have received information that the United States has gathered five aircraft carriers in the Pacific. Multiple new battleships equipped with 40-centimeter guns are also being dispatched from Panama to the Pacific. If they are to attack our territory, locating the American fleet is our top priority. We'll utilize our mainland's aviation units and carriers to scout the Pacific. We'll also dispatch vessels for patrol from Sasebo, Kure, and Yokosuka, is that acceptable?"

"No problem. Our fleet will also head to the Pacific. If a declaration of war is indeed made, the deployed fleet will switch to combat operations."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After finishing dinner, President Roosevelt returned to his office. Secretary of State Hull and Secretary of the Navy Knox were waiting inside as per the President's request.

"My apologies for the late hour. But, let's get straight to it. What's the situation with Japan?"

"There haven't been significant changes since the report two hours ago. Ambassador Grew should have already left the American Embassy in Tokyo to deliver the President's document to the Japanese Foreign Minister. They should be in the midst of a meeting by now. Once the ambassador returns, we should expect some form of report."

"And there haven't been any changes in the Navy's operations?"

"No, Halsey's task force has reached the waters near Japan. The preparations for the attack squadrons are on schedule. If everything goes as planned, the Navy will commence its operations at the designated time, is that acceptable?"