5. Tread carefully

Kie

"I don't know.. nothing else has happened.. yet."

"Seriously Kie, you are literally going to drive yourself insane. Everything is fine, your mom had one beer and one odd conversation which you didn't even fully understand." Bells says in an effort to reassure me.

She is right, I am on edge. But that's only because I have to be. For Khali, Kei and Kaya. They are starting to plant roots here, well Kaya isn't but the twins are.

"I just need things to work out." I sigh, lying back on my bed.

"I know... Still saving up?"

"Every waking moment. I'm actually thinking of getting a second job because things are pretty much handled at the bakery."

"Just..go easy on yourself. Live a little in the present and stop being so concerned with the future."

"Look at you being all Jedi like." I chuckle.

"I'm serious Kie..the first step can be I don't know.. finally texting Izzy back!"

I roll my eyes at her words. She always finds a way to sneak that into every conversation after I told her about that night.

"You are seriously not going to let that go?"

"Let it go?.. You finally by some miracle manage to actually make a friend and you're just sabotaging it because you're scared of people which is highly depressing and likely to wind you an old middle aged drunk artist who lives alone in his giant mansion with his cat."

"Wow that was vivid. You have really given alot if thought to this potential future of mine huh?" I laugh.

"It's not funny Montgomery. You can't live in fear forever. Not everyone is Fay."

Even the mention of that name still affects me. After all this time.

"Look I gotta get ready for work, I'll call you later."

"Or maybe another Isabella in your contacts?..noo, okay I'll drop it..for now. Later munchkin."

It's not like I haven't thought about texting Izzy since that night. I think about doing it everyday, my fingers just hover over my screen until I just leave it be. I don't know what to think of her. I just have too much to worry about to add questioning her genuineness to the list.

Today's shift is kinda slow. It's raining a bit and I guess that's what's keeping people away. Slow day equals fewer tips, I sigh as I bring the cup of coffee to a customer. The sound of the entrance bell is music to my ears and the moment I hear it my eyes are already on the door. A group of about six girls, all in cheerleading uniform and large jackets over walk in. I spot a familiar blonde, a huge red puffy jacket over her uniform, and as if on cue, she walks in last.

She is in a long sleeved purple v neck and flared jeans, her dark wavy hair in a low ponytail underneath a white beanie. This feels like that first time she came in here only I'm the one caught off guard. She spots me almost immediately and me, being me, I turn in the other direction as fast as I can walking over to where Tim is.

"Hey Tim, a bunch of new customers just came in could you uh take it?"

"Uuhh, why? You've been all over every customer we've gotten?"

"I just..I uh..I gotta make a call."

"A call?"

"Yeah an urgent call."

"But we're only allowed to use our phones.."

"Just go do your job Tim damn it!" I snap, handing him a notepad before I walk off to the back.