Chapter Six

Satoru has never experienced being the new kid. From pre-school to Elementary he went to his father's old school, and he didn't have any trouble fitting in or making a name for himself since his family reputation was well known. But at Tokyo, he has nothing to start with, he felt like he is in a video game where he has to start all the way to level one without many tools and skills, and he has to work his way up to get the points, the tools, the skin, and attain the god-level ranks.

That was what he kept reminding himself as he stood before his new classmates with his homeroom teacher building up to his introduction to everyone. He was at the first level in an RPG and he needed to level up to attain his rank.

Looking around the classroom, he was relieved to find a couple of familiar faces, Shoko was in the room and was the first one to notice him then she nudged Mizuki who was too busy spinning her pen to notice him. Mizuki was slightly surprised to see him but kept silent and watched his every move. The glare she had on him says enough that she hasn't gotten over his and Suguru's teasing. Speaking of Suguru, the boy was seated at the far bag beside an empty chair, while the girls were at the front. Suguru only watched him as their teacher made the introductions and kept a blank look.

"Please introduce yourself to the class," his homeroom teacher ended the introduction and handed him the chalk.

Turning to the board, Satoru started to write his name but stopped as he remembered the name he was registered in this school. He quickly erased the first character of his family name – 五 (Go), which confused his classmates, and they weren't quiet with their confusion.

With a heavy heart, he wrote the maiden name of his grandmother on his mother's side: Okkotsu Satoru.

"I'm Okkotsu Satoru," he stated without much enthusiasm. "Nice to meet you all."

"And can you share anything about yourself, Okkotsu?"

"I play basketball, I guess," Satoru shrugged. "And video games."

No one reacted to his introduction, even when his homeroom teacher encouraged the class to ask anything about Satoru, to make him feel welcome. But he didn't need that pity, he was fine on his own. It was only when he sat beside Suguru that he got some sort of interaction. Suguru gave him a small smile and a wave of acknowledgment before turning his attention to the board where their homeroom teacher was going on with the school plans. Throughout, their teacher had to explain these plans again to give Satoru some background and entrusted that his classmates would let him see their notes so he could catch up.

He didn't need those notes. He was fine on his own – he was an outstanding student in his old school. Maybe it was them who needed his help.

Their classes went on, and Satoru proved he did not need help, that he wasn't behind by partaking in the pop quiz and acing it without trouble. Answering equations on the board when their teacher called for him, and even speaking good English during their English class. If his classmates were amazed by his talent and skill, they didn't show, and the reason why came to him during lunch was when he and Suguru were joined at lunch by Shoko and Mizuki.

"I guess you're not all bark, Okkotsu," Mizuki commented as she sat on the chair she dragged from the front to join them. Shoko doing the same. "Your white hair does prove that you're just as wise and smart as an old man."

Satoru pouted and glared at her. "Would you stop commenting about my hair – it's my natural hair color!"

"I know, and that's what makes it funnier," Mizuki stuck out her tongue at him.

To stop an argument from coming up, Shoko spoke up, "So, how's your first day?"

Satoru shrugged. "It's okay. I'm actually surprised that this one –" he pointed at Mizuki "-- is in Class 5."