Chapter Two

Fushiguro Toji had no idea that parents would be called in at daycare due to a brawl between two toddlers. He had the picture that daycare was all sunshine, playing in the park, coloring, and singing those songs, and then learning chores, he never thought that a fight would break in the school's sandbox between two diaper-wearing kids who have yet to master potty-training. Yet here was, sitting on one of those small seats for kids, along with the other kid's parents, his son on his lap, listening to whatever the teacher had to tell them.

He was at work when he received the call. Luckily the client whose car he's been working on was early, and he managed to finish the job and the transaction before getting a change of clothes and going to the daycare.

It was mostly an incident report and the fact that Megumi had to apologize for hitting his classmate with a plastic shovel. A shovel. The teacher said that his son slammed the toy shovel at the boy's head. Normally Toji would argue about Megumi apologizing due to a fight but this time it was Megumi who made the first move and gave his classmate a nosebleed. What was that kid's name again?

Shigemo Haruta?

As Toji looked at the crying toddler, the only thought that crossed his mind was: that he probably deserved it. But he wouldn't say that out loud unless he wanted to get in trouble – not with the teacher but with the government.

The teacher had Megumi face Shigemo and made him apologize. Toji sighed as his son forced the apology out of him and then the boy ran back to his father to hide his teary-eyed face, embarrassed to be in the place now.

"Now that's over, are we done?" Toji got up from his seat, taking Megumi and his son's bag with him.

"Fushiguro-san, we haven't discussed about Megumi's punishment for –"

"God, he's a kid! And he's already learned his lesson," Toji rolled his eyes. "I'm taking him home; he's already had enough of learning for the day."

Ignoring the call of the teacher, Toji brought his son out of the building to his old-fashioned Toyota AE86. One of his prized possessions. It took a while to detach his son from him, Megumi was clinging to his father like his life depended on it, the boy only let go when Toji bribed him with some sweets when they got home. Chocolate was his go but this time, with the hot weather ice cream was more suitable.

"Otosan," Megumi pouted after Toji fastened the seatbelt. "Sorry."

Toji sighed and patted his son's head. "It's not your fault, I'm sure you had your reason." Megumi wasn't one to just instigate a fight, he made sure he taught his son to be the exact opposite of him. "How about you skip daycare tomorrow and you can hang out with your old man at the shop, huh?"

Just hearing that he gets to skip a day in daycare had Megumi ecstatic and was nodding eagerly that Toji was sure would give the kid a headache. The man laughed, "right. Let's get some lunch before we head home. I'm starving."

"Omurice!" Megumi cheered.

Another sigh. "Fine, you deserve it." Toji started the car, but first gave Megumi his favorite plush bunny to play with. While he was a responsible driver on the road, seeing the tearstained face on his son gave him the idea to make their trip to the shokudo near their apartment, where the chef would always give Megumi and him free mochi or soup since she found his son cute.

"Hold on, Megumi," Toji grinned mischievously then hit the gas, speeding down the road and going beyond the appropriate speed in a neighborhood, drifting at corners, and doing a few tricks just to hear his son's laughter.