The Dragon Migration

When we saw the first formation in the sky, whispers quickly spread through everyone gathered. The dragons, knowing they were near the destination, were not quiet and when we heard their first calling, we quickly settled.

We were quiet on the field. Dragons have notoriously good eyesight, and we all stood as still as possible. No one else had a flag or banner, except for our king. Some people went as far as keeping hair tightly bound and clothing with no wayward strings or ribbons. These may prove to be a distraction. Dragons seeking rest after such a long flight did not need distractions.

Those who came first were not the main body. They were the forward vanguard. Thin, agile warriors in the service of the rest. Here they would remain until they took a mate. Tight circles, weaving inward and out, they came to rest and formed a half-moon by the tree line. On land, they pranced in tight circles, their wings curled protectively on their backs, observing what lie around them for hidden dangers. With low grumbles and growls, they puffed out air, similar to a human sneeze, to express their satisfaction.

The rest of the immense herd circled until they all stood around the offering. Their leader was not one chosen by heraldry, as humans choose their leaders. Size chose the leader of the dragons. The others made room, pushing themselves backward as the largest male dragon walked forward on all fours.

King Morys walked forward and stood on a wooden stand. I, being his wizard, walked one step behind him. The commander of the guard was to the left, and I was to the right.

Timed so we and the Lord Dragon would arrive at the top at the same instant.

In a show of respect to the dragons, we all went to one knee. The Dragon commander knelt down also with his wings open. They showed respect for us in return. The dragon's head lowered, and I felt its breath on the back of my neck. I daresay if I looked up now, teeth and nostril would fill my vision.

Dlismohr and his family, our family of giants, settled in the village. Simple creatures prone to doing arduous jobs for rewards and favors, they did not see the dragon migration as we did. A family of four, the youngest child born before my grandfather, would remain hidden inside their home until the dragons were settled. Their movements sometimes spooked the dragons. A concept of beauty well beyond their understanding.

When the Lord Dragon pulled back and sat on its haunches much like a dog, the king made the symbols for 'welcome' and 'friends'.

The Lord Dragon nodded his head. With his hands spread wide, the king signaled it was time to eat.

In the feeding grounds in the shoals in the ocean south of us were very rich in fish. The dragons feast on these when they are there. We do not have spare meat for them. If we fed them enough cattle to sedate their ample hunger, our herds would thin considerably. A year was not enough time to replenish the cows needed. The dragons, fattened by fish meat, would rather feast upon the byproducts of cattle. Dragons have a deep reverence for cheese and consider it to be of great importance. There, in the field, were stout tables laden with an assortment of cheese and milk items.

Amazing to see such large creatures being cordial about the food they craved.

Our servants took large chunks of cheese and served the dragons by hand. Placed on the grass of the field, the dragons waited for the servants to back off before they gulped it down.

As I walked around the ring of dragons, a younger dragon came up to me. Larger than me, he hunched down on all fours so our heads were about the same height. His scales were green, showing that he was entering the second quarter of his life. Mature, but still prone to the chaotic whims of youth.

"Need speak," he signaled.

I nodded to him, hands spread open and downward, palms facing him. I asked him to continue.