The Awakening

The soft sounds Sabine made in her sleep woke me up. With the light of the single candle, I could see the smoothness of her skin and the dark texture of her curls. I pulled the furs up higher, covering her shoulder to keep her warm. So deep in slumber, she did not even move. Not for the first time, I wondered how people could lie in bed for hours while it was just the opposite for me. Any slight noise, any change around me, and my mind woke the body.

I knew trying to go back to bed now was pointless. Rarely did I sleep more than a few hours. Tonight was no different.

Winter was on the run. The short, wintry days slowly turned longer. As the name suggests, the awakening was a beginning. The special time of year, when trees budded their leaves, grass and flowers, lifted their stalks to the blue sky, and lambs were born.

And the dragons. Oh, these magnificent creatures. For them, the migration from the South to the North began about a month ago. They should pass by here soon. Scales sensitive to the changing of the weather, they came northward to their home. Like fish in the river, they sought their birthplace to bear children of their own.

I slipped on a robe and slipped up the stone stairs to the top of the keep. Lifting the latch, the door opened quietly. No wind, no moon, just a cloudless sky filled with stars. I felt the chill of the stone on my bare feet.

Beneath me, I saw the grand village of El-Lauren. I could easily imagine the castle with its grand hall, the kitchens, and stables, with its bedrooms of sleepers an empty place. Maybe therefore I slept so little, why I joined the few souls working their early morning tasks. My mind felt at ease with no interruptions and no turmoil caused by others.

Sunlight, still hours away, would bring an awakening of its own.

I watched as long as I could before the chill gave me reason. Feeling insignificant and small on this perch, I retreated to my room below.

I dressed in heavier clothing, and added some oak wedges to last night's embers, warming the room once again. For added light, I lit several candles at my desk.

As I began the third page of the study of the Blackburn herb, I heard the most peculiar hum. Early in the year, yet I knew it was nigh time for them to venture forth. The open window, high on the wall, allowed them access. I did not move. The wee folk startled easily. The noise, the hum of their wings, rose in a crescendo as they neared and suddenly stopped within my room. Blue light from their protective orbs danced on my walls. From the top of the stack of haphazardly placed books, a single male Fae, his height only my longest finger, stepped down. Thankful for the heat, but weary of the flame, he shied away from my candles. My room at the top of the tower must seem like a grand cathedral to them.

He bowed deeply to me. I nodded with my open hand on my chest.

"We brought something for you," he said loudly while pointing to the side.

Seeing six or seven of them standing further down the desk, I gave them the customary greeting. Between them, sitting delicately amidst some small jars of my herbs, was a sling made of cloth. It carried an egg. And ordinary chicken egg which they had taken and drained. Once dried, workers had meticulously carved a scene in the shell. Looking at it in the dim candlelight, I could only imagine what it portrayed.

I found my enlarging glass. Daring not to pick their gift up, or touch it, I saw the beauty of a forest etched in something I could hold in my hand.

"Thank you so much," I whispered as every conversation with the Fae is whispered least I frighten the small creatures. "This is a gift for the Princess, and she will enjoy it dearly. Fantastic workmanship. Such a work of art is too delicate for something, or someone, as clumsy as I to handle." They enjoyed the feeling of being stronger and more agile than humans. "If you could place it on the stand, I would greatly appreciate it."