Chapter 2

That same day, in the hallway, Andre approached Beck's locker.

"Hey, Beck," Andre said.

"'Sup, Andre?" Beck asked as he closed his locker.

"Happy Birthday," Andre simply said. He handed Beck an envelope.

"Hockey tickets?" Beck asked once he had opened it.

"I figured for a nice birthday present, we could go to a hockey game," Andre suggested.

"Wow, this is amazing! These tickets are for next Monday?" Beck asked, noticing the date on the tickets.

"Yep. So, what do you say? You in?" Andre asked.

"I'd have to ask Jade if she's okay with it," Beck said.

"To be honest, Beck, they're from Jade. She wanted me to surprise you with them," Andre admitted.

"No way. She bought these?" Beck asked, surprised.

"That's right. So, it's a go?" Andre asked.

"Yeah, it's a go," Beck said.

"Alright. I'm looking forward to it," Andre said.

"Later," Beck said, closing his locker and leaving.

Later on that day when classes were ending, Beck encountered Jade in the hallways.

"Jade," Beck said as he walked towards her.

"Beck," Jade said back.

"We were supposed to have met back at the RV yesterday after school," Beck said.

"It must have slipped my mind," Jade answered simply. "If you don't mind, I have places to be."

"You told me you had nothing to do this week," Beck stated.

"I made plans," Jade told him rather coldly. But it was true. She had planned to visit Cat's house sometime. They hadn't made plans, but maybe she would do it today. Perhaps it was more of an excuse...

"Babe, you've been avoiding me all week," Beck said.

"No, I've just been busy," Jade lied.

"Too busy to even give me those tickets in person?" Beck asked her, and Jade shrugged.

"You know I hate hockey and you're welcome. Enjoy the boys night," Jade said before walking away.

"Sure," Beck said. "Come by the RV this evening, if you've got the time?"

Jade paused and turned back around. "I'll see," she said vaguely before continuing to walk away.

The next Monday evening after classes, Jade decided to go ahead with visiting Cat at her house. She had decided it'd be a good idea to fulfill something on Cat's bucket list.

"Thanks for helping me...but are you sure you don't wanna be with Beck? Cat asked.

"Drop it. Andre's taking him to a hockey game," Jade replied. She threw her things onto the couch before settling down there as well.

"Yay," Cat said excitedly.

"So, are you here alone?" Jade asked her.

Cat nodded. "Yep, Sam's out and I've got no-one to babysit," Cat answered.

"Okay, cool. Now let's see that list again," Jade said, and Cat handed it over. "Wow. That's quite the list."

"I know," Cat giggled. "And it'll take me a while to complete them all."

"Yeah, it would," Jade answered as she gave her back the list.

"Jade," Cat spoke. Jade faced her. "Well, something's been bugging you lately."

"What makes you say that?" Jade asked her. "I've been perfectly fine."

"Come on," Cat said. "I know when there's something wrong. And I can guess what it is. And it has to be you and Beck."

Jade sat there silently, turning her face away. "I won't deny it," she said plainly.

"Is it your Mom and Dad?" Cat asked.

Jade just shrugged in response. "What is it? Guess what's wrong with Jade day?" Jade retorted, maybe a bit too harshly, "Come on, let's get something on this list of yours done."

"Well, I figured out what we could get done!" Cat said. She made her way to the counter of the small kitchen, and got something out of the fridge.

"Strawberries?" Jade asked curiously.

Cat nodded her head vigorously. "From Oxnard," she whispered. "Sam managed to get some in."

"Well, whatcha gonna do with them?" Jade asked.

"Easy!" Cat exclaimed, putting down the bowl and pulling out a jug of cream. "We're gonna make homemade ice-cream." She then pulled out a book from the counter. "And I've got my Nona's recipe book!"

This should be fun, Jade thought, a little sarcastically.

Almost thirty minutes passed as Jade and Cat tried to follow a specific recipe for Strawberry Sorbet. It took awhile, but they ended up having a really good time.

"I was so afraid it was going to end up like my fudge piles," Cat said, as she finished up her cup of the sorbet.

"God, no," Jade said with a groan. "Nobody likes them. Especially the way you shape them!"

"At least my meatballs are to die for," Cat laughed.

"You know what, Cat? You're right. I think your meatballs are probably the best batch I've ever tasted," Jade agreed.

Throughout the evening, Jade had a blast with Cat. Partway through the evening, though, a reminder came up on Jade's phone about Beck's surprise party. The sight of Beck's name pulled Jade's attention away from Cat, got her thinking about her fiance and the surprise party. And about their engagement as well, a thought that brought with it a twinge of anxiety. Jade was so happy to have Beck, and about the engagement, but she was still deeply concerned about telling their parents, unsure how the news would be received,

Cat saw Jade's expression. Jade looked deep in thought, and worried. Cat was concerned for her friend. "You okay, Jade?" she asked.

"Oh...yeah," Jade said, snapping out of it. "I just remembered we have to go to Beck's surprise party. Now come on, Tori's expecting us at her place." She started to gather her things up.

"I thought you weren't allowed in her house," Cat said, confused. She stood up.

"Cat, that was a month ago. That trespass order expired," Jade clarified.

"Oh!" Cat laughed. "What about the mess?"

Jade looked at the frothy and creamy mess they had made on the counter and on the coffee table. "You told me your Nona is coming in a few hours too, right?"

"Yeah?' Cat asked, and then she read the expression on Jade's face. "Oh! That's a good point. Let's go then!"

Cat quickly gathered some dishes in the sink running water over them, to at least do something.

Cat updated her status on TheSlap which read: "Made strawberry sorbet ice cream! Yayy. We all scream for ice cream - MOOD = Silly"