Chapter 2

Tommy was waiting for Antonio and me under the street light at the corner.

After talking for a while, we noticed it was dark enough to sneak in over the back of the fence of the drive-in movie.

We all had the money to get in, but Tommy hated to do things the legal way.

He liked to show that he didn't care whether there was a law or not.

We went to the rows of seats in front of the concession stand to sit down.

Nobody else was there except two girls who were sitting down in the front.

Tommy eyed them, then walked down the aisle and sat right behind them.

I had a sick feeling that Tommy was up to his usual tricks, and I was right.

He started talking, loud enough for the two girls to hear.

He started out bad and got worse.

Tommy could talk awful dirty if he wanted to and I guess he wanted to then.

Antonio eventually got up to go get a coke or something.

One of the girls just stayed quiet but the redhead was tough and kept telling Tommy to leave them alone- as she should.

After a while, Tommy got up and just walked away.

Me and Antonio stayed seated though.

The redhead looked back at me.

I was half-scared of her.

These girls were Stoners.

"Are you gonna start in on us now too?" She said a little annoyed.

"No." I said as I shook my head, wide-eyed.

She suddenly smiled.

"You don't look the type. What's a nice guy running around with trash like that for?"

I felt myself stiffen.

"I'm a monster, same as Tommy. He's my buddy."

"Sorry," she said softly.

Then she said briskly, "I think I know your sister. Patricia, right? She works at that gas station, I think?"

"Yeah."

"Your sister is one doll. I might have guessed you were siblings- you look alike."

I grinned with pride- I don't think I look one bit like Patricia, but it's not every day I hear Stoners telling me they think my sister is a doll.

"Thanks." I said, and then the other girl who was there suddenly spoke.

"How come we never saw your sister at school? I only have little memories of her..."

I winced inside.

I can't stand it that Patricia dropped out.

"She's a dropout." I said roughly.

"Dropout" made me think of some poor dumb-looking guy wandering the streets breaking out street lights- it didn't fit my happy-go-lucky sister at all.