Prologue

She took a deep breath, as she threw her leg forward. One after another, she kept thrusting her feet on the concrete ground. She locked her gaze at the man she was chasing. He was all in black, and had a suitcase in his hand. She kept chasing him. The floor changed from hard concrete to smooth tiles, as she jumped over the parapet of one roof to another. These roofs were connected through one parapet so it was easy to jump over them and get to the other roof.

The man she was chasing, jumped another parapet, and another, and kept jumping one parapet after another. She was also not going to give up easily on him. Her footsteps echoed through the rigid cement roofs, and were heard by the people below. She jumped another parapet and threw her finger to the bluetooth communication device she was wearing in her ear.

"He's going East," She spoke, as she saw the streetlights turning dim and the sky turning blue.

She checked the time on her watch. 5:49 AM. She shifted her focus to the man running with the suitcase. He jumped another parapet.

The man she was chasing came across another man, who was standing on his roof, with a copper vessel in his hand filled with water. He had wrapped his lower body with a towel and the upper body was exposed to the air. He had held the copper vessel high above his head, and was pouring the water in front of him, such that he could see the sun from the stream of water.

The man with the suitcase jumped on his roof and went to him. He pushed the other man aside and went further on. The man with the vessel almost fell to the ground, but balanced himself midway. She followed the man, and reached another roof.

She seemed to get tired of running through roofs and jumping parapets, but he wasn't. And as long as he was not caught, she couldn't stop even when she was tired. She pushed herself and jumped another roof.

The man reached a roof where a swing was placed in the middle and very little space to go around the swing. There were two people sitting on the swing. Their faces were unclear from behind, but the man didn't care about who they were. They seemed like teenager siblings of almost the same age. One was a boy and the other was a girl.

They were talking in a language that neither the man, nor Lailah understood. It sounded like Gujarati.

"Dēv, imagine kar" The girl spoke to her brother on the swing, " rāghav, sachin, rāhul, Scott, wade, Utpal, vagērē jēvā āpdi game pātrō kharēkhar ēk Parallel Universe exist kartā hase ne?"

Before her brother could reply, they found a man jumping over the swing. They both screamed in terror. For a moment, they thought the man was here to rob them. But then, they saw, another lady chasing the man. She was in her police uniform, which made it clear that the lady was a police officer. But they had no idea why she was chasing after the man.

The man and the lady officer named Lailah, jumped two more roofs, before the man came to a halt. He saw the road below from the parapet. There was no roof ahead of him. He looked down at the road. In under a second, he imagined himself tied to a chair and getting tortured for information. He threw his leg over the parapet and jumped down at the road. She also slipped to a halt, and ran to the staircase of the roof.

Thankfully, the staircase door was unlocked. She threw the door open and entered the house. Three people who were in the house, gazed at her and screamed. Some thought she was a thief, and some thought she was a fake cop.

"I'm sorry!" She shouted as she avoided eye contact and made her way down the stairs.

The roofs were about two stories high. She climbed down all the stairs and ran to the road. The man landed on the garbage of the dump-truck that he jumped on. He landed on the garbage and dialed a number in his keypad phone. He threw the phone to his ear, and spoke,

"I'm in the truck."

"What!?" The man on the other side said, "you were supposed to land on the bin, not the truck!"

His eyes grew wide in shock as he got up and glanced at the biker who was standing near the dust bin. He realised that the biker was his get-away driver. He gazed back at the truck. The truck came to an instant halt, as if it had seen a baby on the road. The door of the truck clicked open and a man in the police uniform came out. Lailah reached the truck on her feet as the truck hadn't gone very far.

The man with the suitcase felt sweat coming out of his forehead as he saw the police approaching him. He knew he had soft locked himself. He gazed at the biker in the distance who was unaware about what had happened. He was casually waiting for the man to jump into the dumpster and get onto the bike.

He jumped off the truck and gazed in his surroundings one more time. He sprinted forward as fast as he could. He knew he was now gonna get arrested but he had to try his best to escape. He felt someone holding the back of his collars. He was brought to a halt, as he jerked his head around and found Lailah holding his collar.

She pulled the man, while keeping her foot in his way. He tripped on her foot and fell to the ground. He gazed up at Lailah and the other officer who was pointing a gun at him.

"You brought handcuffs right?" Lailah asked the other officer, "I left mine in the car."

"I sure did" The officer replied.

"Alright, Ethan." She started, "Start the car, and hand me the handcuffs."

Ethan nodded, shoving his pistol back in its place. He went to the man lying on the floor. He bent over the man and picked up his suitcase. He clicked open the case, and pulled out a pendrive from it. The whole case was covered in thermocol, and a little spot was left just so that the pendrive would fit perfectly in it.

He pulled out a necklace under his shirt. The necklace's pendant was a USB adapter. He inserted the pendrive in his necklace, and pulled out his phone. The white screen on the phone with black text read: Transferring Data - 10%

20%...
21%...
34%...
46%...
53%...
69%...
86%...
98%...
100%

The data was transferred. He pulled the pendrive back out and threw it on the ground. He thrust his foot on the fallen pendrive and crushed it.he saw Lailah handcuffing the man, she was chasing.

he saw Lailah handcuffing the man, she was chasing