Chapter 8

I never figured out who followed me.

The eerie feeling left soon after I parted ways with Yuki.

I looked around, but I should've known no results would come up. The stalker must've been long gone by the time I tried to do something. I just hope that they don't try to do anything to Yuki.

I lost my appetite at this point and decided to go back up to my room and wait there for Akio to return. I was still wary on the way back but I never got the feeling of danger again so in the meantime, I'm safe... and hopefully she is too.

When I reached my destination, I hesitated a little and stood outside the room. One part of me says to go back down, where all the people are and where I won't feel suffocated. Another part says to be obedient and wait in the room for Akio to come back, and to also not risk the stalker coming back.

The tip of my finger felt the cold steel of the door handles before my whole hand grabbed it and turned it, opening the door to the suite. I should stay inside the room so I won't cause anymore trouble, I think as I close the doors behind me and walk towards the middle of the living room. Was it always so empty in here?

... Yes, it was. I just momentarily forgot.

I sighed, dreading the slow hours to come.

"What're you sighing for? I should be the one sighing because you took so long to come back."

I flinched at the unexpected cold voice before I stood up straight and turned to the eyes that were boring into me.

"Mother, I didn't expect you to visit. If I'd known, I would've prepared something for you."

She walked towards me and sat down on the couch. "There's no need. I'm only here to ask if Akio found any complications in your health."

"... No. The doctor said he didn't find anything irregular," I said robotically.

"I see." She looked up and down at me before picking off a nonexistent dust particle on the couch. I saw her open her mouth, ready to say something else, and I knew what she was going to say. So I spoke quicker.

"But Akio said I should rest in the meantime, just in case."

She narrowed her eyes at me, clearly irritated that I interrupted her, but she surprisingly let it go and stood up. "Well, if that's what Akio says."

She didn't spare me a glance as she walked past me and left the hotel room. I let go of my breath that I didn't realize I was holding as I placed a hand on my chest. My heart is beating too fast. I was so shocked by my mother's appearance that I wasn't able to see mentally or physically prepare myself. It took too many deep breaths to calm my heart back to normal.

However, just as I was able to breathe again, a knock on the doors made my heartbeat spike again. Is it my mother again? Did she forget something? I didn't see her hold anything. Or perhaps she has more to say to me? Maybe she decided to scold me for earlier, when I interrupted her. I'm not mentally prepared for it though, and it takes several minutes for me to prepare.

I slowly walked to the doors and started reaching for them. I kept hesitating, however, because I was too scared and nervous to face my mother again. I wish I wasn't, but my body always betrays my thoughts.

Ever so slightly, I started opening the doors and ready to apologize for my earlier behavior before an uninterested voice stopped me.

"You're opening the door like you're scared of the person behind it."

It took me a second to process before my face lit up and swung the doors open, revealing a handsome white haired man with matching eyes and pale skin.

"Aurelio? Why are you here?"