Chapter Three - Stuck.

The world around me seemed to blur as Effie's words echoed in my ears. Peeta Mellark.

My heart twisted in guilt. The odds were not in my favor today.

I watched as Peeta was escorted toward the stage. His expression was a mix of disbelief and resignation. I couldn't bear the thought of him being thrust into the horrors of the Hunger Games with me. Not only because I didn't want him to get hurt, but because I knew that if he had the chance, he would kill me in an instant.

As Effie led Peeta to stand beside me, I could feel the eyes of the crowd boring into us in silent sympathy. Despite the overwhelming fear and uncertainty, I found a strange sense of comfort in their pity.

As Effie continued with the formalities of the Reaping, I turned my head to look at Peeta.

His features etched with disbelief and resignation. It was as if the weight of the world had descended upon his shoulders in that moment. My heart clenched with guilt, knowing there was nothing I could do to spare him from the horrors that awaited us in the arena.

I wanted to reach out to him, I wanted to comfort him. But I knew he'd push me off if he could.

I felt two Peacekeepers grab my arms and pull me off the stage. I could hear my mother calling out to me, but I couldn't turn to look at her as I was being pushed into the Justice Building.

I feel anxious as I waited to see my mother. I kept biting my fingernails, a bad habit of mine whenever I was nervous.

I suddenly hear the door open behind me. I turn to see my mother, her eyes filled with tears. She hugs me tight in her arms, and I can hear her sob on my shoulder.

"You shouldn't have done that, Lace." she sniffled, her body trembling.

I felt a wave of guilt wash over me. "I'm sorry, Mom." I held her tighter in my embrace, my eyes closed shut as I held back my tears. "I couldn't let them take you."

My mother pulled back slightly, her hands cupping my face as she searched my eyes for reassurance. "But Lacy, honey, you've put yourself in danger," she said, her voice wavering with concern. "You may not come back."

I swallowed hard against the lump forming in my throat. My mother clearly didn't have much faith in me winning the games. Honestly, I don't think I have much faith either.

"I'll do everything I can to come back to you. I promise." I whispered, my hands holding hers.

Tears welled up in my mother's eyes as she pulled me back into her embrace, her silent understanding a balm to my troubled soul.

Suddenly, the door creaked open, and two Peacekeepers strode in. "Time's up." one of them grunted, their voices devoid of any sympathy as they approached us.

My mother's grip on me tightened, her breaths coming in short, ragged gasps as she struggled to compose herself. As she pulled away from our embrace, I could see the fear in her eyes, the silent plea for me to turn back, to not do this. But the choice had been made.

"I'll be okay, Mom." I whispered, in hopes it would reassure and calm her. But my words felt hollow, inadequate.

Reluctantly, I released my mother from my embrace, watching helplessly as the Peacekeepers led her away, her figure disappearing through the doorway with one final, longing glance back at me.

I closed my eyes, letting the tears run down my face. I covered my face in my hands, my body shaking in anxiety. I wished to be over with this already. I wished someone else would have been picked. I wished that my mother and I wouldn't have to participate in such a horrible event.