Chapter Two - Reaping Day.

The morning sun rose over District 12, casting a soft golden glow on the weathered buildings and cobblestone streets. Despite the beauty of the dawn, a palpable sense of dread persisted as the district's residents prepared for the annual reaping.

I looked out the open window of our small house, the cool morning breeze ruffling my hair, taking in the familiar streets, now crowded with anxious faces and hushed whispers. Today, the Capitol's cruel lottery would tear families apart and kill them in the Hunger Games arena.

My mother moved slowly and deliberately through the kitchen as she prepared breakfast. The aroma of fresh melted butter and toasted rosemary bread filled the air, providing a welcome respite from the looming specter of the Reaping.

"Are you ready, Lacy?" my mother inquired, her tone tinged with concern as she looked over at me.

I forced a smile, attempting to hide the turmoil within me. "As ready as I'll ever be," I said, but the words felt hollow on my tongue.

My mother placed a hand on my shoulder, a silent expression of solidarity. "We'll get through this together, yeah?" she said softly, her eyes full of love and sadness.

I nodded, grateful for her support, but unable to overcome the gnawing fear in my heart. Despite my efforts to remain strong, the prospect of the Reaping filled me with dread, unlike anything I'd ever experienced.

I forced a smile, attempting to hide the turmoil within me. "As ready as I'll ever be," I said, but the words felt hollow on my tongue.

My mother placed a hand on my shoulder, a silent expression of solidarity. "We'll get through this together," she said softly, her eyes full of love and sadness.

I nodded, grateful for her support, but unable to overcome the gnawing fear in my heart. Despite my efforts to remain strong, the prospect of the Reaping filled me with dread, unlike anything I'd ever experienced.

As the hour of the Reaping approached, my mother and I made our way to the town square and joined the crowds. The square was filled with anxious faces, each reflecting the fear and uncertainty that hung in the air. Their expressions mirrored precisely what I felt on the inside.

My heart pounded in my chest. I felt like throwing up today's breakfast.

I took a deep breath to calm myself down, my hands balling into fists. My mother seemed to notice my discomfort because she took my hand into hers and rubbed her thumb gently over my knuckles.

I looked around, seeing a few familiar faces with the terrified and somber expressions they always had whenever it was Reaping Day. My eyes suddenly fell on Peeta, whose eyes looked directly at the stage.

His expression was stoic, and his jaw was set with determination. But I could see a flicker of fear in his eyes, which I knew mirrored mine. Peeta Mellark, the boy with whom I had once laughed and dreamed, was now standing among the other young men, waiting to learn their fate.

My attention went back to the stage as I suddenly heard the microphone being tapped by Effie Trinket, who looked as colorful as ever in her pink outfit. A hush fell over the crowd, anticipation hanging in the air like a heavy fog.

"Welcome, welcome, welcome!" Effie said with a smile, "Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor."

The silence was strong in the crowd. No applauses, no cheering. Well how could they? One of us could be facing death.

"Now, before we begin, we have a very special film. Brought to you all the way from The Capitol!" Effie gestured to the screen, where a film began to play.

"War, terrible war."  The sound of President Snow's voice was heard through the speakers.

I couldn't focus on the film. My mind was too occupied, praying that I wouldn't be picked as a tribute. I tried taking control of my thoughts, but my attempts were pathetic.

"I just love that!" Effie's voice snapped me into reality as she clapped her hands enthusiastically. How could she have this much energy? "Now, the time has come for us to  select one courageous young man and woman for the honor of representing District 12 in the 74th Annual Hunger Games. As usual, ladies first."

I watched as Effie's hand reached into the bowl, grabbing onto a piece of paper. I closed my eyes, wishing my name wouldn't be called.

Effie goes back to the microphone and opens the piece of paper.

"Eliza Sunbrooke."

The words echoed in my ears, and time seemed to slow to a crawl. Eliza Sunbrooke. My mother. The woman who had given up everything for me and loved me unconditionally despite the difficulties we faced. The thought of her being taken away from me and forced to fight for her life in the Hunger Games arena was too much to bear.

I could feel her breath hitch and her hand squeeze mine once she realized her name had been called.

Without hesitation, without a second thought, I knew what I had to do.

"I volunteer!" I shouted, my voice breaking through the stunned silence of the crowd.

All eyes turned to me, disbelief and shock written on their faces. But I didn't care. My only focus was on my mother, on saving her from the fate that awaited her.

"Lacy, what are you doing?" My mother whispered in urgency, her eyes wide in shock.

I didn't respond. I simply squeezed her hand, reassuring her it would all be okay before I was led to the stage by two Peacekeepers.

"A dramatic turn of events here on District 12. Yes, well. District 12's very first volunteer!" Effie announced through the microphone, her smile never leaving her face despite the surprised expression on her face.

I stood on the stage, my heartbeat quickening with each second that passed. I looked to my mother who was horrified by what was going on.

"What's your name, young lady?" Effie asked.

"Lacy Sunbrooke." I replied, my voice steady despite the turmoil swirling inside me.

"Well, I bet my hat that was your mother wasn't it?"

"Yes."

"Let's have a big hand for our very first volunteer, Lacy Sunbrooke." Effie clapped enthusiastically, but the rest of the crowd does a three finger salute.

Effie cleared her throat to ignore the awkwardness. "And now, for the boys." she walked towards the other bowl. She reached into the bowl and took out another piece of paper. And with a smile, she announced his name.

"Peeta Mellark."

Just my fucking luck.