One: Reunited And It Feels So Good

CHAPTER                                               I

      PARKER JOLTED AWAKE, QUICK BREATHS BREAKING IN HER CHEST

PARKER JOLTED AWAKE, QUICK BREATHS BREAKING IN HER CHEST. The room she was in was shrouded in darkness, the lightning outside blinding her in intervals, and her heart raced as beads of sweat trickled down her forehead, her locks sticking to the back of her neck. She felt a hand touch her shoulder and shuddered. It was cold, calloused and she was hot, burning up. "It's just the rain," they tried to soothe but as she continued to stare out of the window, seeing the showers flood, her anxiety only seemed to grow. She raked her fingers through her hair, shaking her head, and swallowing to wet her dry throat. She hated the rain—it always seemed like something bad happened whenever it rained, and only she was left to guess what it was this time.

Her eyes dart to the clock sitting on the nightstand, and the numbers read nine in those annoyingly bright neon digits. Parker shot up out of the bed full of scrunched-up sheets in places all over and scavenged through the room for her scattered clothes on the floor, the natural breeze hitting her back and legs.

"It's nine? I was supposed to be home an hour ago." She breathed out, moving around the room like there was just a fire that lit under her ass right then and there. She looked around and found her phone, sending Lennox a page to come and get her—she didn't live too far away from here, just ten minutes down the road.

"Probably because I was sleeping, too?" Parker sent him a glare, and his shoulders just shrugged as he turned on the lamp, the warm light illuminating the room. Posters of the Beastie Boys and New Kids on the Block decorated his walls. "Look, Parker, you're in college— you don't have a curfew anymore. You can do whatever you wanna do." He was right. She could. But somehow she could always hear that teeny weeny voice in the back of her mind pulling her back to the real world of boring lectures and assignments.

"I know, I know. It's just..." she paused as she shimmied into her jeans. She took another as she watched him crawl his way to meet her at the edge of the edge of the bed. He tugged at the two front belt loops, pulling her close to him as he rose to his knees, letting the patterned sheet fall off his waist. Her eyes couldn't help but venture further down. "Mason," she breathed out for the first time tonight. She had seen everything earlier in the night, but still, it made her cheeks burn up, bringing her whole body to an extra temperature. "It's just... my sister's coming home tonight."