Chapter 20

As we settle into our chairs, in a window seat upstairs in the restaurant, I can't help but notice just how good Ross looks tonight in his dark grey shirt, and I feel a flutter of nervous anticipation in my stomach. Only one lone butterfly is left, but it's making its presence very much felt.

"Tonight could be the night," it shout-whispers to me excitedly. "Perhaps you're finally going to find out what it's like to be with someone other than Eddie!"

"Can I get you some drinks to start?" The waiter who showed us to our table materialises in front of us again. "Some wine, maybe?

"Anything but red," we chorus together - as if we rehearsed our response - before locking gazes and laughing. The waiter, understandably, seems confused. "Long story," I add, glancing at the drinks menu. "Will we get a bottle of the pinot grigio?" I ask Ross, and he nods.

We busy ourselves with selecting our food next, which is obviously a great way to make conversation without any pressure. But, once that's out of the way, we're alone with our wine and a slightly awkward silence.

Argh, this is exactly what I was afraid of. I take a fortifying sip of wine, my mind racing, while Ross clears his throat nervously, obviously struggling himself for something to say. Seconds elongate themselves into what seems like hours within that brief pause. My eyes flicker to his face at the same time that he looks at me, and we both chuckle uncomfortably before looking away. I glance out the window and - thank goodness! - find a jumping off point.

"What is that guy doing to that lamppost?" I ask, blinking in surprise. The man in question is cuddling the base of the light like it's a long-lost lover, swaying gently from side to side.

"Looks like someone's had several too many," Ross observes, following my gaze. We watch as a good Samaritan tries to peel him off the post but ends up with the man hugging him instead. "Never a dull moment in Glasgow, that's for sure! That's one of the reasons I moved here."

"Ah, so you're not from here either?"

He shakes his head. "I grew up in a small village right in the depths of South Lanarkshire. I escaped to Glasgow for uni and never moved back."

"I'm from a small village too," I tell him eagerly, delighted to find common ground. "But in the Highlands, so a tad further afield than you!"

His eyes light up. "Were you as keen to get the hell out of there as I was?" He asks, grimacing as I nod. "It felt like everyone just always wanted to stick their nose in your business! I went home last weekend and I recognised every single person I ran into . . . and they all wanted to know if I'd found a girlfriend yet."

I bet. Ross is a top catch, and I'm guessing all the parents in his village would probably be delighted to try to fix him up with their single daughters. This thought makes me feel strangely possessive, even though I realise I don't currently have any type of claim over him.

"Yep, I know that feeling," I agree, putting my irrational jealousy to one side for now. "My ex-boyfriend cheated on me with someone famous and half my village knew about it before I did."

He winces. "Wow. I think you win." He hesitates for a moment before reaching over and touching my hand gently. "For the record, though, it sounds like your ex was an idiot."

"You think?" I ask, heart pounding as soon as his skin meets mine. My eyes flick up to meet his again, and this time, it isn't awkward. It's sweet and heated, and it feels . . . Right.

He nods firmly, sunlit-forest irises serious. "You didn't deserve to be treated like that, Skye." His voice lowers, cracks slightly. "You're worth so much more."