Chicks love scars

17th March, 2011

Kaylee had eventually convinced Emma going to the party was a good idea. Oh, was she wrong. The room was filled with voices and the smell of cheap vodka, a typical friday night for Kaylee but an unusual one for Emma, who was standing in the most hidden corner of the room, hoping no one would notice her, a glass of punch in hand. She had been staring at Dzhokhar for almost twenty minutes now, but he couldn't see her becuase her because he was surrounded by a group of friends. Emma just couldn't stop looking at him, she couldn't stop noticing he looked even prettier than he did a few hours ago. His curly hair shimmering as he moved. Emma felt a warmth spread through her as she admired him from afar.

She wished she had the courage to approach him, to say something, anything, to break the invisible barrier that separated them. But every time she thought about it, her shyness got the better of her, and she found herself retreating back into her comfort zone.

As she continued to stare, a girl with long, dark hair sidled up to Dzhokhar, leaning in to whisper something in his ear. Emma's heart sank a little, a pang of jealousy tingeing her thoughts. She tried to shake off the feeling, reminding herself that they were not even friends, that she had no claim over him. Damn, she didn't even have the courage to say hi.

But as she watched them laugh, her emotions got the better of her. A wave of sadness washed over her, making her feel even more isolated among the crowd. She felt envy towards the girl, wishing she could be the one whispering in Dzhokhar's ear. Instead, she was just being a creep staring at him from afar.

Before she could look away, she noticed a guy storming towards them, his face twisted in anger. His eyes were locked on Dzhokhar, his fists clenched at his sides. 

"You think you can just flirt with anyone, huh?" the guy spat, his voice loud and accusatory, cutting through the noise of the party. His finger pointed at Dzhokhar, drawing the attention of everyone nearby.

Dzhokhar's smile faded, replaced by a look of confusion and surprise. "Hey, man, calm down. I don't know what you're talking about," he protested, raising his hands in a gesture of peace.

But the guy wasn't listening; his anger seemed to have blinded him. With a growl, he swung a punch at Dzhokhar, connecting solidly with his jaw. The impact sent Dzhokhar stumbling back, his friends quickly rushing to his side. But Dzhokhar wasn't one to back down; with a fierce look in his eyes, he launched himself at the guy, fists flying as they were one on antoher.

The party's atmosphere shifted instantly, whispers spreading through the crowd as people backed away to give them space. Shouts and exclamations filled the air, all eyes turned to the scene.

Emma wasn't surprised. Even she knew fights were ordinary during parties, and she knew Dzhokhar was often a target. And it was usually because of girls. Still, Emma's heart raced as she felt herself torn between wanting to intervene and fearing she'd make things worse. Or get a punch herself. She took a hesitant step forward, her eyes locked on Dzhokhar. She felt a hand on her arm, pulling her back.

"Stay back, Emma," Kaylee whispered in her ear. "Let them handle it."

Emma nodded, reluctantly stepping back as she watched Dzhokhar's friends step in, pulling the angry guy away before things escalated further. Dzhokhar took a deep breath, he had blood running out from his nose. His anger was palpable, his eyes blazing as he shook off their attempts to help him. Without a word, he pushed past the crowd, his jaw clenched and his fists balled up in frustration. He stormed out of the room, the door slamming shut behind him.

Emma's heart raced with worry as she watched him leave. Her concern for him overpowered her shyness and hesitation. Ignoring the curious glances from people, she hurriedly followed him outside, determined to make sure he was alright.