It's a lot to take in

Emma sat down on the woodden chair, next to her sister Jane. Her eyes felt heavy, she hadn't slept all night, her thoughts still directed to her encounter with Dzhokhar. Despite her efforts to push it aside, the thought was still lingering like a heavy cloud over her head. She looked at the calnder hanging on the scraped wall of the kitchen and a wave of relief washed over her as she realized it was saturday. She didn't have to go to work and face the unsettling presence of Dzhokhar.

Dzhokhar.

That name had been stuck inside her mind for years, always reminding her of what she was put through. She couldn't shake the curiosity about him, about where he lived, how he lived and what thoughts occupied his mind. While lost in her thoughts, Emma realized she had completely lost her appetite. And she usually loved french toast for breakfast.

Across the table, Jane glanced at Emma with concern written on her face. "Is everything alright, Em?" she asked gently, her voice tinged with worry.

Emma forced a smile, masking the turmoil brewing beneath the surface. "Mom should paint that wall", she said, gesturing towards the wall.

Jane followed Emma's gaze, her expression thoughtful. "You're right," she agreed.

There was a moment of silence before Jane spoke again. "Is it about Jacob?" she ventured cautiously, her brow furrowing.

Emma sighed, realizing that Jane was way too smart to fool. "No, it's not about Jacob," she replied firmly, her gaze meeting Jane's with determination. "He's not part of my life anymore and he never will be again."

Jane nodded in understanding, her expression softening. "Then what is it? You've been acting werid and-"

Emma's her phone suddenly buzzed with a text notification. She glanced down and saw a message from Cara, confirming their meeting plans. A sense of relief washed over her as she realized she didn't have to confront her sister.

"I'll tell you more later, okay?" Emma said, offering Jane a reassuring smile.

Jane nodded, not quite sure Emma actually meant what she said. "Ok, Em."

***

Emma took a deep breath before stepping into "The Rusty Mug," a cozy neighborhood bar where she had arranged to meet Cara. She was one of the few people Emma could actually trust on and her being away during the whole Jacob drama made it even worse, in addition to the fact Cara had always expressed her concerns about Emma dating him. Emma stepped inside and the familiar buzz of conversation and the soft glow of overhead lights welcomed her as she scanned the room, spotting Cara sitting at a corner table.

There she was, her blonde hair shining under the sun reflecting on her face. A smile spread across Cara's face as she noticed Emma too, who  returned the gesture . 

"Emma!" Cara exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with excitement as she got up to approach her best friend. 

They hugged tightly, both their cheeks hurting from smiling.

"I can't believe it's been so long since we've caught up," Emma remarked, a hint of nostalgia in her voice.

Cara nodded, her expression mirroring Emma's sentiment. "I know, right?"

They settled into their seats at the cozy table and Emma couldn't help but feel a sense of relief being with her best friend.

"So, how was your trip?" Emma asked. Her genuine interest in Cara's recent trip competed with the persistent thoughts about Dzhokhar that tugged at her mind. As Cara started to animatedly describe her adventures abroad, Emma found herself struggling to stay fully present in the conversation, her thoughts drifting back to the encounter with Dzhokhar at the shelter. She felt a knot of anxiety tighten in her chest, unsure of how to touch the topic with Cara.