Chapter Five

Destiny

Since I was so mentally and physically exhausted from all that went on the previous day, I slept like a rock. I awoke to the singing of birds and scuffling sounds. After opening my eyes I panicked because I didn't know where I was. Looking around, I calmed a second later as it dawned on me that I was in Wesley’s tent. It looked different than it had in the dark.

I sat up with a yawn and stretched.

I wonder what all the racket is out there.

I opened the tent flaps and stepped out to see Archie lying outside the tent chewing a bone and the men packing everything up into the wagons.

Wesley spotted me and approached after loading a crate. “Morning. How'd you sleep?”

“Fine, thank you. Why are you packing up?”

“Valentine will be on high alert after last night and we don't want anyone to recognize you.”

I nodded.

He motioned towards one of the chairs that stood around the few burnt logs and dying flames that were left of the campfire. “There's some breakfast for you.”

“Oh, thank you,” I said, noticing the plate and cup that sat on the chair.

I walked over and picked them up, then sat in the chair and put the plate of eggs and bread on my lap. The cup looked to be filled with coffee, which I had actually never tried before.

“I hope you can do better.”

I looked up to see who was speaking to me. One of the men, who I guessed was Wesley's uncle, stood on the other side of the fire and seats.

“I'm sorry?” I asked, confused.

“The food. I hope you're a good cook ‘cause I could use a decent meal.”

I stared at him with a blank face and gritted teeth, attempting to bite my tongue. Maybe it was because I felt more free after getting away from my parents, but I was struggling to not say something snarky.

Smiling politely, I finally replied, “Well, yes. I can make some delicious pork,” I pretended to have a sudden realization then mocked an apologetic expression. “Oh- forgive me. I assume you wouldn't want to eat an animal you so closely resemble.”

Wesley snorted in amusement behind me where he was folding up his tent.

“My name is Destiny Verlice, by the way. Sorry, I didn't catch yours,” I couldn't help but add.

He blinked at me with his mouth slightly open, taken aback by my response, which elicited a pleased smile out of me.

“Well,” he eventually began. “looks like we got ourselves a bold one.” His gray-blue eyes were filled with humor. “Glad to have someone else ‘round here who'll enjoy a good joke.”

“Who said I was joking?”

He laughed. “Pleasure to meet you, Miss Verlice. Sorry ‘bout my behavior. The name's Giles Dawson.”

“Nice to meet you as well, Mister Dawson,” I said.

“Ahh,” he waved a hand. “Just Giles. Save the formalities for my grouchy brother. But I'll leave ya to your breakfast now.” With a small tip of his hat, he walked away.