Chapter Two

Destiny

Except for when doing chores, I didn't leave my room for the rest of that day and the next. I barely even ate, though I wasn't very hungry after what had happened. 

My room was small. There was a bed with a nightstand and lamp beside it, a wardrobe, and a vanity table with a chair.

I had the chair pulled up to the front of the window and was sitting in it. With my arms resting on the sill and my chin resting on my arms, I looked out of the open window. The breeze softly blew my hair, tickling my face. I watched the leaves of trees shake from the very same breeze, and the birds flit around from branch to branch in front of the sky that was nearly dark, but still had a hint of orange where the sun had just set. The occasional person would leisurely ride or drive by on the road. They all seemed busy, yet so… carefree. I craved that freedom. The freedom of not having to worry about what horrible thing would happen next, or the consequences my every action would have. How amazing I thought it must feel to have that weight lifted off your shoulders. 

I can run away… but where would I go? I can give into my parents' demands and be the perfect little lady they want me to be… but I would never be happy.

I sighed weakly. None of my options seemed very appealing. I began tapping my fingers on the window sill as the first few stars began to appear in the sky. I was getting restless from being cooped up with my grim thoughts for the last couple of days. 

I need to get out.

My parents probably wouldn't notice if I left that late in the evening. That is, if I could even get out of the house. There was no way I could simply walk out through the front door without being spotted. 

I continued tapping and thinking until an idea sprang into my mind. I stood up, which pushed the chair back a few inches, and put my hands on the window sill. I then leaned over it, looking down out of the window. The roof of the porch was right under the window and it didn't look too steep to step onto. 

Yes!

I knew just where I wanted to go: the river. After sticking a handkerchief in my shirt and putting my boots on, I giddily stepped out of the window. Gripping the sill so I wouldn't slip, I looked down at the ground below the roof. It was a bit of a long drop. I hesitated.

Maybe this isn't such a good idea.

I was too desperate to give up now, though. I bent my legs, lowering myself and making it easier to balance on the slope. With one hand on the sill, I went as far forward as I could without letting go. My other hand held my skirts away from my feet since they made the action quite difficult. I took a deep breath before turning onto my belly, stretching my legs out, and scooting off the side. I stopped my fall by grabbing hold of the edge of the roof, then let go and dropped to the ground with a stumble. 

Once steadily standing on the ground, I turned toward where the horses were kept, kicking myself for not thinking of doing this before. I had only taken a few steps when I heard something behind me. I swiveled around, my heart beat speeding up, then sighed in relief. It was just the dog, Archie. 

Archie stared up at me and tilted his head with a quizzical look. He was probably confused as to why I was climbing around on the roof. 

"Ssshhh." I pet him on his head and whispered, "Do you want to come?"

His tail started wagging as soon as I said 'come', which I took as a yes.

I turned back around and made my way over to the horses. After grabbing a bridle, I opened the gate and walked up to Silver. I made sure to move slowly so he didn't get spooked and put the bridle on him. I then led him out, closed the gate, and not so gracefully wriggled onto his back. I'll admit, it took a few tries to get on without a saddle. I was expecting Silver to be extra grumpy from being disturbed and ridden in the evening, but his ears were forward and he was on high alert. This told me I needed to be extra careful and ready for if he got spooked. I patted his neck and began the ride to the river with Archie following behind.

●◇●

We went slow and steady since it was getting quite dark, and made it to the Dakota River in a couple of hours. After stopping him, I slid off Silver's back and tied him to a tree, then trudged over to the river and sat down with Archie by my side. 

Moonlight shone onto the water and shimmered in the ripples. The relaxing sound of the flow and the occasional bat or owl was the only thing that could be heard through the silence of the night.

I grabbed the handkerchief I had brought out of my shirt and dipped it into the frigid water, then wiped it across my upper back, shoulders, and arms. There were slash marks there from the incident a few days prior, and they were still sore, so the cold felt good. I stroked Archie's brown fur with my other hand, and he laid his head on my lap.

I sighed. If only It was always like this.

As scared as I was to do it, I knew I was going to have to run away. I didn't know what I'd do or where I'd go, but I had to. It was my only chance. My only choice.

I couldn't help it, my eyes started watering. I looked down at Archie, still running my hand along his back.

He looked up at me with his dark chocolate eyes, not moving his head.

With a little smile, I sniffed and spoke to him in a soft voice, "You are the sweetest. Such a good boy." 

I draped the handkerchief over my shoulder, then put a hand on either side of his face and leaned down, kissing the top of his head. 

He gave me a few small wags of his tail in response. As I leaned back and continued to pet him, his ears perked up, then he lifted his head and looked behind me.

I turned to see what caught his attention. A moment later I could hear hoofsteps coming in our direction. I stood up and went over to Silver, who was also on high alert and looking towards the incoming sound. Wishing I had brought a weapon – because who knows what kind of people I could run into – I nervously fumbled with the reins, trying to untie them.

The steps were very close now. I looked over at the forest and saw light from a lantern, then a man on a large horse came through the trees.

Archie stood ready for conflict between me and the stranger.

The man stopped his horse and looked at me as I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand. "Oh. Hello, miss."

It was hard to see his face since the lantern, which was hooked onto his horse's breastplate, didn't shine on him much. He did sound familiar, though.

"Hello," I replied quietly, still gripping the reins.

"Are you okay?" He must have sensed my nervousness.

With a squeeze of his legs, his horse walked a few steps closer. He looked down at me in the now brighter light then dismounted. I subconsciously backed closer to Silver as the man stepped around and to the front of his horse. Once he walked into the light, I was able to recognize him. It was the man I met at the general store who helped me carry the items I dropped.

After looking me up and down and stopping at my shoulders, or more accurately the marks, he asked, "What happened?"

"Uh, nothing. I'm fine."

"Hm," he wasn't convinced. "Well, what are you doin' out here in the dark?" 

"Just…" I paused. "Enjoying the beautiful night."

I got the feeling he somehow knew more than I'd told him.

He finally looked up at the sky. "It is a nice night, I guess." He looked back at me. "What's your name?"

"Destiny. Verlice."

He smiled. "Wesley Dawson."