Chapter 1- Morning

It's a crisp Tuesday Morning when I walk into John Highland School, glad for the air conditioning which instantly warms me up. I hate the cold.

I wave to the receptionist who I really do not like but have to be friendly to because I see her everyday.

"Good Morning, Ellis!" She yells. My ears hurt from her annoying voice.

"Morning Lisa." I say back. I have this little trick, where if I just say morning or afternoon without the 'good' then I'm not wishing happiness on them.

I sign into school and head upstairs to the geography office.

Well it's not just the geography office, we also share it with the history department, because for some reason the idiotic people who run this school decided it would be a good idea for us to work together.

Did they not know that we were sworn enemies?

I go to the geography office and like always, I'm the second person to arrive.

Every day it's the same. I enter the office and there he is.

Sebastian Bates, Head of the History Department.

6 feet of pure History facts. With straight posture, his chin always held high- almost like he's looking down on everyone he sees- and a fancy suit.

He looks up at me and smirks. Why is he smirking, is there a problem?

"Morning Sebastian." In my mind, im cackling over the fact that I thought the word 'bad' before I said it.

"Good Morning, Ellis." He emphases the word 'good' like he knows about my trick of never saying it.

How does he always know everything?

Well apart from Geography, at least that's my upper hand.

"How are you?" He asks, why is he still speaking to me, I just want to sit down and get ready to plan my lessons. I've sorted out all of them but 9X2 last period. They are such a pain, but I like some of the students. I would never admit it because it goes against the unspoken teacher code. But they're probably my favourite class, just because of the few students that I do like.

"I'm alright." I say briskly, wanting to end this encounter before it progresses into an actual conversation in which I have to talk to this man.

It's like he can sense the fact that I don't want to speak so he does the opposite and continues speaking.

Ugh.

He's so annoying.

"Do you have 9X2 today?" He questions. I look back at him confused on why he is asking me this but I answer nonetheless.

"Umm, yeah I have them last period. Why are you aski-" I reply, curious at to why he is interested but am unable to finish as he interrupts me. I mean if he really wanted to know he could just check the timetable outside of my classroom.

"No reason." He says, cutting me off. Well that was rude.

I sigh and then turn back to my computer, wanting this whole discussion to end.

My wishes are answered when my best friend Clare walks into the office, giving me an excuse to speak to someone else.

"I am so sorry, I know you wanted me to drive you today but my daughter was being a nuisance and wouldn't get ready." She exclaims the moment she arrives, seemingly oblivious to the presence of 'Mr Bates' in the corner of the room.

"It's alright Clare, don't worry I just took an Uber."

"Aren't they expensive though, I mean inflation and all." Clare responds.

"It's fine, I mean it won't be an everyday thing, will it?"

"Actually... my daughter is going to school now and I need to drop her everyday and pick her up after school. So I can't make it to get you as well without being late. I am really sorry."

This is going to be a problem. I can't afford to get Uber everyday and there aren't  enough buses that go by my flat so I can't take public transport. I am so screwed.

But not wanting to inconvenience my friend, I plaster a fake smile onto my face and say, "It will be fine, I'll figure it out."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, there's no need to worry about it." Wrong. There definitely is, but I'll sort out something, I always do.

I almost don't hear the voice of Sebastian, as my mind is currently going 100mph trying to think of a solution.

But I do end up hearing him say, "Ellis, if you want I could drop you to work. From what I remember of the last time I went to your flat, it is on my way to school."

I look up at him, shocked by two things. Number one, the fact he would actually offer to drive me to school everyday, knowing that I have a dislike towards him and number two, that he would bring up the time he came to my home , it was an unspoken promise between us to never mention what happend that night.

But with no other option, unless I want to walk ninety minutes to school everyday, I reluctantly say,

"Yes, thank you."

I wonder how this is going to turn out.