Defeat and Resurgence

- Mitchell's POV, Downtown Wellston -

I stood my ground, the iron shell around me pulsating with energy. "I don't know what you're talking about!" I shouted back, trying to keep my voice steady despite the chaos around us.

Carmilla's laugh was chilling, echoing off the buildings. "Oh, Mitchell, you can play innocent all you want, but we both know the truth. Those boosters are dangerous, and you're distributing them!"

I gritted my teeth, feeling the weight of the backpack even more. "I'm just the messenger," I said, deflecting. "I don't make the rules, I don't ask questions. I just do what I'm told."

Her expression softened for a moment, and I thought I saw a glimmer of understanding in her eyes. "Then stop being a pawn," she urged. "You have the power to change things, to stop this madness."

I hesitated, the conflict within me growing. Part of me knew she was right, that I should stand up and fight against the corruption. But fear held me back, fear of the unknown, of the consequences.

The standoff continued, the tension palpable in the air. Suddenly, a loud siren pierced the night, and red and blue lights flashed from the end of the street. The police.

Carmilla's eyes widened, and she took a step back. "This isn't over, Mitchell," she warned before the sludge receded into the ground, and she disappeared into the shadows.

I took a deep breath, feeling the adrenaline start to fade. The police cars approached, and I knew I had to make a decision. To run, or to face the consequences of my actions.

With a determined look, I chose the latter. It was time to stop running, to stop hiding. I would face whatever came my way, with the hope that maybe, just maybe, I could make things right.

As the officers stepped out of their cars, I raised my hands in surrender, the backpack slipping from my shoulder to the ground. "I need to talk to someone," I said, my voice barely above a whisper. "I have information about the ability boosters."

One of the officers spoke "You're under arrest for assault and the distribution of drugs!"

How did they know I already had drugs!?

"Wait I-" I interrupted, "you don't understand!"

My ruse wasn't working and the officers' abilities were already on. But I wasn't going to allow myself to get defeated so quickly.

I decided to throw out my innocent story and continue fighting.

"I'm not letting you get to me so quickly!" I formed a sticky gel wall between me and the cops. The crashed into the gel wall before the could stop running.

Immediately they got stuck and I made my quick escape, making a ladder for me to get to the top of the buildings.

One I was ontop, I ran on the rooftops. Using my ability for bridges in between, I was able to make a hasty escape before the police could even send out a helicopter.

After 12 minutes of running, I took a stop. Standing ontop of what was probably a law firm building.

"I can't believe they found out! How the hell did Emerson's creepy co worker find out about me in the first place?!" I threw the backpack on the floor.

I have to destroy it before this gets any worse!

I generated matter into dissolving acid, splashing it on the backpack and watching it dissolve into a smelly puddle of muck.

With not much else choice, I continued to run. I probably couldn't go back to college since my face would be on the local news for evading the police.

However I got stopped in my tracks.

My eyes widened in shock, I notice someone else standing on the rooftops with me.

I couldn't make out who it was since it was dark out but I could see the glow of blue light on their eyes.

"Mitchell....." The person spoke out.

They were a bit far from me, so I couldn't exactly pinpoint who's voice it was. None the less I turned on my powers and replied "Who are you?! How do you know my name?!"

"I used to be your best friend, but now. You're just a scum like everyone else." The glow of their eyes was bright enough just for me too see a dim sight of them grinning. "And now I've finally exposed you for who you are....."

"Jack doesn't have a blue colored ability, who the hell are-"

A large blue energy shard landed half an inch away from my left foot. My heart dropped immediately once I saw that.

Emerson.

"You call me an asshole for who I am, for stealing your title and for ruining your life. But look who's the asshole now? Proud of yourself for poisoning others? I sure hope so if you so easily can distribute the harmful boosters!" He leaped forward towards me and this time I could seem him properly, he slash my sides with an energy strike and I got thrown off to another building.

"This is going to be just like our last title match isn't?" I barely spoke. "But this time I won't let YOU WIN!!" I got up and surrounded him with a iron barrier.