Chapter 8 : Shadows and secrets

"Secrets are the silent whispers of untold stories, echoing within the chambers of the heart, waiting to be discovered or forever concealed."
.
.
.
.
.

This chapter contains some themes that may not be suteble for someone readers
.
.
.
.
.

In her penthouse, Daniella relaxed, enveloped by the cozy ambiance. The television's gentle glow filled the room, easing away the day's tensions. However, her peace was abruptly interrupted by the piercing ring of her phone. An uneasy feeling crept over her as she checked the caller ID, her heart sinking at the sight of the number. Gathering her courage, she answered, her voice tinged with apprehension as she asked, "What do you want?"

"That's an unusual way to address your father," a voice responded from the other end of the line.

"We both know you only reach out when you need something. So, what is it this time? What do you need?" she retorted.

"Well, your mother and I are kinda in a tight spot financially. We're looking at about 800k."

"800k? What could you possibly need that much for?"

"Come on, I know you have it. We need it to cover debts, fix up the house, and maybe get some new things."

"Okay, but 800k is alot. What happened to the 500k I gave you four months ago?"

"Well..."

"You gambled it away, didn't you?Again . I won't give another cent for you to throw away."

"Don't you are talk to me like that. When family calls, you answer without question. I didn't raise you to be disrespectful."

"You didn't raise me at all, Dad. You were too busy gambling in casinos and God knows what else."

"This little b..."

"Goodbye, Dad," she said, ending the call, choosing to continue her evening in peace as if nothing had occurred.

************************************

The next morning :

As the sun rose, its golden rays painted the sky in hues of pink and orange, casting a warm glow over the awakening world. Dewdrops glistened on the delicate petals of flowers, while birdsong filled the air with a symphony of melodies. The gentle breeze carried the scent of fresh blooms and earthy fragrances, creating a serene atmosphere that enveloped everything in tranquility.

In the dimly lit hotel room, Ilaria stirred from her slumber, her senses instantly alert. With practiced precision, she slipped into her clothes, the fabric rustling softly in the stillness of the room. Every movement was calculated, every step deliberate as she made her way to the door, her breath held in anticipation. With a careful twist of the handle, she eased the door open, ensuring not even the faintest creak betrayed her departure into the silent corridor beyond navigating her way to depart from the hotel premises.

As Adrik slowly opened his eyes, he reached out, expecting to feel the warmth of Ilaria's body beside him, but his hand met only empty sheets. Confusion clouded his mind as he sat up, scanning the room for any sign of her presence, but it remained still and silent.

************************************

Meanwhile at Daniella's office :

The door to her office swung open with a creak, and Daniella froze in the doorway, her eyes widening in disbelief at the sight before her. There, perched on the edge of her desk, Dimitri rifling through her papers as if he owned the place.