Chapter 4

Darren watched through the window as Nicky sat on a bench near the bed, her face buried deep in her folded arms, spread across the hospital bed where her guardian lay. The beeping sound from the heart machine showed Norah was breathing normally, and Darren couldn't help but notice the dark circles under her puffy eyes, and the wrinkles that were covering her face like a map. He remembered his mother then; how she used to get botox because she just couldn't stand "looking like an old hag" as she put it. His father always told her off for defacing herself, going on about ethics and issues like "how it's unnatural and doing wrong against God". Speaking of God, Darren and Him needed to have a long chat. It had been, what, 7 years? Wow!

Ever since he became a teenager, he had basically turned into a rebel. Not to blame him though; his mother was to be held responsible for that. She had always been rebellious and freespirited, Darren winced as he recalled. Things weren't so great between his parents, as well as him and his father. Now that he thought of it, it caused him great sorrow to acknowledge the fact that his father had died before they reconciled. He hadn't even visited him at the hospital the night he died, unintentionally of course. His heart moved at this thought, and something that felt like a tear fought its way out of his eyes. He immediately turned his head away, in case Nicky suddenly looked up and noticed him at his weakest. That would definitely bruise his ego.

But there was something about Nicole Brown! Each time Darren was near her, he always felt like he had to prove himself to her; as if she mattered at all, which was puzzling, because Nicole was way out of his league. He felt  he was too good for her; he was the university hottie, captain of the school team, every girl wanted her... Every girl but Nicole, that is! He reminded himself with great disturbance. No girl had ever resisted him. Not that he would actually settle for girls at the bottom of the social hierarchy, but he did tease them and flirt with some decent ones, that was if they hadn't fainted, ran away or stood there with mouths agap, too gob-smacked to have any conversation with him. And he loved it. So what was wrong with this girl? Was he trying too hard or he wasn't trying hard enough? Obviously she wasn't his type. And obviously he was everyone's type, I mean, this was Darren Smith, Darren Smith for crying out loud! He was just going to find out why she still wasn't cooing along with his bevy. Darn, she actually hated him! Maybe she was lesbian, that explained it! Rumour had it that she was dumped on Valentine's Day apparently because she had been caught making out with her boyfriend's sister; not that he went about listening to the rumour-mill, but everyone spoke about it. Ok, his imagination ran wild at the thought of two girls together, but Nicky wasn't exactly what Darren would describe as sexy. Pretty, maybe; definitely NOT drop-dead-gorgeous though. But then the girl was her boyfriend's sister! Suddenly, his inner Angel popped into his thoughts.

"What are you doing?! You should be comforting the girl instead of fantasising about her doing... I'm not even gonna say; it's too disturbing. Please don't spoil my night, you know your every thought is my TV show, for goodness' sake! The cuddling was bearable, but this, only your demon could enjoy! Just, just look at her; all peacefully sleeping there. But she's restless. Her skin is paling, her eyes are darkening! Allow me some peace and pure thoughts, please, or else I'll shut my eyes!" Immediately, his Demon scoffed and snorted.

"Will you shut up for a second! Darn it, I was beginning to enjoy the bit when Nicole starts-"

"Eb-ba-ba-boo-boo-booooo! I don't need to hear that, thank-you-very-much!" His angel interrupted the demon, to the demon's annoyance.

"Ok, listen here; you're not the only one living here. You just gotta get used to the fact that Darren is a normal boy who fantasises like any normal boy would. Would you rather he actually makes it reality, like that one time when he imagined him rubbing-"