8. Duel

🤍

~~⁠~⁠~~~⁠~⁠~~~⁠~⁠~~~⁠~

'No matter how much you try to ignore them , they are ultimately another family of your's'
His father's words echoed in his mind like a chant, as he wandered off to the grove near their humble residence.
His parents had sat him down and lectured him for an hour in the evening . His Radhama and Adhirath Baba were simple people with a broad and accepting mind. And they asked him not to force himself to accept anything but also not to run away from reciprocating the love and care they deserve.

It was during dusk , Vaikarthana has finished his Suryapuja and was on his way home , but then he felt like extending the walk further.

______________________________

After the lunch earlier at noon , he and his brothers discussed about their coming days. His brothers will have to leave for Kurukshetra , set up tents and welcome all those warriors who pledged their alliance along with their army strength. They were less in Army strength compared to that of their enemies, their beloved Pitamaha and Gurudeva was on the opposite side , so they were as tensed as they were annoyed . And facing their dear grandfather and teacher was their biggest concern for now.

We will have to leave for Kurukshetra next morning Bhrathashree.
Nakul had told him while they sat beside eachother after lunch for a little break.
Karna felt something weighing his heart down , he didn't wanted them to go to a battlefield this soon , he just got them and he felt like they were slipping away from him again , he liked his little brothers even though he won't admit it aloud so soon.

Can't we stay back for a few more days Nakula?!
Karna asked trying hard to hid the disparity in his voice.

I wish if I could abandon everything that had a tag of royalty and just stay here with you and Bhabhishree . If I am provided with a good mirror and some food I will be the happiest person bhayya, trust me.
Nakul tried to lighten up the mood even when he felt sorrowful.
But , I think this war is important, not only for the sake of reclaiming our rights and seeking Justice, but for reclaiming many values and morals that were stripped off of us in that court that day along with our self respect.
Nakula said barely holding his anger.

Karna has heard from Bheema , about how much Nakul cared about hygiene and beauty . But as he looked at the Nakul infront of him , he could barely see a Nakul who cared about beauty , his hair got messy every now and then as they were not well kept for last 13 years in the jungle. And as a result Nakul's smooth shiny black hair with chestnut hues intervened , had a rough and tangled structure now.
His skin has tanned too much, masking his actual skin tone. Wrinkles has started forming slightly there and here even though he was a demigod , the stress and guilt eating his well maintained younger self from inside. Now if observed closely , Karna could see a chirpy young man who had to become a responsible adult all of a sudden under the pressure of circumstances.

Karna felt bad for all 5 of them , now actually thinking about all that they had to go through, he felt grief swallowing him . He wanted to take their pain away. But he was helpless. Maybe the war was the only solution.
To see his younger brothers as they were once, happy and content with eachother; it seems he will have to fight a war alongside them to get them back , and the eldest was ready to face anything to return his younger siblings a content life.
His thoughts ran through all this while his feet took him further into the lush groves.
_______________________________

Whoosh! Whoosh!
The sound of arrows rushing to hit some target caught his ears.
This particular sound will always be Karna's favourite music.
He tuned into that sound , he could deduce few things from the sound , the Archer was the definition of calculated focus and the arrows were impossibly fast and sharp. He wondered who the Archer was.
Nobody came to practice in that arena other than Vrishsen , Abhimanyu and himself . sometimes Mrinal would practice basics too and Vrishketu would mess around with his little bow and arrow at times as well , but none of his children could be this focused. Vrishsen and Abhimanyu had amazed him several times with their spell bounding skills. But this was different.