❙ 004. Damsel in Distress

Disclaimer: I do not own My Hero Academia or anything related to it, such as characters, plots, etc. I do not own any images used in this story. I only own original characters that are introduced, and the plot of this fanfiction. I apologize for the grammar issues. English is not my first language.

***

You're exhausted, extremely so.

You let out heavy pants. Every inch of your body hurts too much, whether it's from the overuse of your Quirk or the extreme training that's been continued for the past few days.

It's only been almost two years ever since you got your Quirk, yet it seems like they're scared that you'll disappear before they manage to learn more about your Quirk.

You gaze at the faint burn marks in your palms as one of the scientists treats it. Despite the piercing coldness of the disinfectant, you don't flinch, too occupied with the thoughts swirling inside you.

Five years old. That's your current age based on what the scientists told you.

With time passing by in the blink of an eye, you started to focus on the training that everyone has given to you. No matter how much you crave to disappear, the feeling of indebtedness towards them holds you back—after all, you got into this situation because you ran away from your responsibilities.

Rather than reincarnating and starting everything from once again, you prefer to end it all.

"—And done." The scientist's voice pops you out of your daydream, and your eyes focus back to your palms which now have bandages wrapped over them tightly.

Noticing your seemingly blank state, the scientist offers a friendly smile at you. "Did it hurt, Three?"

Out of habit, you reflect his smile with one of your own as you shake your head. "It doesn't hurt." You curve your smile, turning your eyes into crescent moons. "Thank you for treating my injury."

He's one of the newer scientists, you noticed. With slightly messy hair that fits perfectly fine with his wave-shaped hair and round, thin-framed glasses, you would have thought of him as a college student rather than a scientist if it wasn't for the lab coat that he wears.

After all these years of spending time within this small space, you came to memorize those who came from time to time. Some of the older ones who were there when Tomura visited no longer showed up, while those who seemed to be close associates with the Head Scientist started to lessen their visits towards you. It's only recently that new scientists came to take care of you, fairly younger too, so they're much more friendly.

The Head Scientist doesn't mind it either, so it should be fine if I interact with them. You justify your action in the back of your head—and so, your gaze is focused on the scientist's reaction.

He has his mouth agape at you, and as inexperienced as you are, you are unable to conclude the glint in his eyes nor the faint crease of his forehead other than confusion.

"Oh—" He cuts his own mouth before fumbling over his next words. "I see, yeah—I mean, you're welcome, kid." Turning his head away from you, you watch how he scratches the back of his neck.

...Kid? That's a new nickname. You tilt your head slightly at the new nickname you just gained. For someone who has a subject number as her name, and explicitly referred to as an experiment, it's odd to call you just a kid.

Now scientists are weird.

It seems like your reaction doesn't entertain him enough that when the scientist glances at you, he just lets out a sigh at your reaction.