Chapter five

The sound of a alarm blaring woke Makenna from her deep , peaceful sleep. She tossed and turned in bed , smothering her face with a pillow to block out the noise.  Tossing the pillow on the floor , she shot up in bed and scratched the side her head , ruffling her already messy and tangled hair. Reaching over , she slipped the cellphone off the nightstand and pressed the 'stop' button on the screen.  Makenna stretched her arms high in the air and yawned. Tossing the covers back , she slid out of bed and walked over to her closet. She scratched her side and rubbed her eyes with the back of her  hand , and  opened the closet doors. "Hey Siri , what's today's weather." She pushed the hangers to the side one by one as she searched through the various colors and fabric styles.  "Mostly sunny skies.  Temperatures as low as fifty degrees."  Makenna puckered her lips and scanned through her winter outfits . She  pulled  a pale white sweater with gold plated buttons along the cuffs of the sleeves  off the hanger  and slipped it over her sports bra  , then slipped out of her sweats and shimmied into a pair of pitch black ,  skin-tight  skinny jeans.  She yanked  a black fuzzy scarf from the curved hook that sat drilled into the back  of one of the doors  and adjusted it around her neck , fluffing her hair over the thick fabric so no strands got stuck underneath.  Grabbing a pair of knee-high , leather high-heeled boots from the bottom of the closet , she made her way to the dresser for a pair of long , thick knee-high socks. Slipping the pair she wore during the night off , she tossed them on the crumpled pair of sweats by the  opened closet door , and slipped on  a pair of grey knee-high socks , then slid her feet into the boots and zipped the sides up.  She grabbed her phone  , ID , and credit card off the nightstand , and shoved the items into her back pocket.  After brushing the tangles from her hair  , washing her face and taking care of teeth , Makenna closed the bedroom door behind her and ambled down the long , narrow hall towards the room Vanna occupied. She knocked on the door with the back of her hand , her knuckles beating against the solid wood.  "Vans , are you up?"

A loud thud could be heard from the other side of the door , along with a muffled 'Be right there'. Makenna took a step back as the knob twisted and the door opened , Vanna stood in the doorway with her hand on the door and covered her mouth as she yawned. " I'm up. I'm up." She yanked the bottom of the oversized  sweatshirt down to cover her underwear. "What time is it?" Makenna pulled her phone from her pocket and clicked the lock button , the screen lit up and large neon blue numbers could be seen on the lock screen. " Seven in the morning." She slid the phone back into her pocket and jerked her thumb over her shoulder , "Your clothes have been washed , dried , and folded.  I placed them on the kitchen table. But ,  I don't know if they'll be warm enough to wear. Forecast calls for chilly weather. " Vanna ran her fingers through her hair , detangling the messy knots. "Oh , um , would it be okay if I--" Makenna waved her hand in the air and jerked her chin in the direction of the closet. "You don't need to ask. Take what you need , you can just return them to me another day."  Savannah glimpse behind her at the closet then back at Makenna. " I appreciate it."  With a nod of her head , Makenna turned to head back the way she came , the sound of her heels clacking on the hard floor reverberated off the walls.

She loved the smell of coffee in the morning. It had been awhile since she took the time to actually brew a cup of Starbucks toffeenut coffee, her mornings normally consisted of deep cleaning the entire house from every nook and cranny or  running twenty laps around the neighborhood. Makenna would normally just snatch a Gatorade or a 50 Fl oz bottle of water from the fridge and take off running. This was the first time in months that she was able sit down and  enjoy a nice cup of  her all-time favorite rich and creamy coffee. "Ooh , something smells good ," Vanna stated as she walked into the kitchen. She pulled up her hair and twisted it in a bun , enclosing a large multi-colored claw-clip to hold it in place.  She flattened out the wrinkles at the bottom of the  oversized knee-length cream colored sweater and nit-picked small threads of fabric off the skin-tight grey leggings that showed off every angle of  her strong , lean legs.  "Grab yourself a cup , " Makenna offered , lifting the tie-dyed  mug up to her lips. She leaned back into the chair and took a long sip of coffee.  Savannah.  leaned down to slip on  a pair of fuzzy chestnut UGG slipper , she then made her way over to the crimson red Keurig  sat squished against the charcoal grey wall and a rack of various flavored K-cups and creamer bottles at the very end of the counter. Her eyes scanned through the different flavors of coffee as she spun the four tier rack around. "Jeez , you sure do love coffee. Huh?" Leaning back into the chair with her legs crossed with the steamy hot cup of joe in hand , Makenna smiled sweetly. "It's one of my favorite things to drink." Vanna flipped the lid up and discarded the empty cup. She refilled the water tank and placed a cinnamon dolce k-cup in the slot , then closed the lid and pressed the brew button in the center. She leaned against the wall and watched the steamy , light brown liquid pour out into the floral designed mug below. "So , why are you up so early in the morning for?" She asked , lifting the mug off the tray. Candy Pop by Awolnation played in the distance . "Oh , someone must of texted me. Give me a second." Vanna slid her phone from the leggings' side pocket and unlocked her screen. "Holy shit , " She gasped as she scrolled through the message notifications. She sat the mug down on the counter and walked over to where Makenna was sitting. "You are not going to believe this ," She exclaimed as she continued scrolling.