00 | THE ONE SHOT

June 10, 2017 | 12:40am
Location: Club Indigo

Sapphire S.

Sitting in the bathroom of the club Sapphire sat on the counter trying to keep herself together.

She'd came here tonight with a man she'd been "dating" for a few months now, only for his wife to show up and he act as if he didn't know her.

Her feelings were hurt because she thought that this one could be the one.

She didn't understand what was wrong with her? She was a sweet woman. She was a damn good woman and all she wanted was to be loved. Was it that hard to come across?

"I don't understand," she sniffled as knocks were heard on the other side of the door.

"Open the door bitch! I know you've been fucking my husband!" She heard and the pounding continued. "Come out you scary ass bitch," Sapphire just sat there and listened to the woman bang and shout.

She wasn't a fighter and she wouldn't fight a woman, although she identified as one herself—she knew that the state would try her as a man regardless of how she presented herself. Especially after deciding she wanted to keep her body as is, externally. It was just the battle of herself internally that people struggled with, she never felt like a male and had changed her pronouns and name long ago. Not that people respected that anyway.

"How you cheat with scary niggas John? Huh?" The woman continued to scream, and through the loud music you could hear the smack she had delivered to him, "I will kill you and you know it—matter of fact I'm calling my brother," she yelled and it sounded as if John had started to apologize and plead.

Sapphire sat there for what seemed an hour lost in her thoughts, she was in the middle of the club crying in a bathroom at another failed attempt at love. How could men claim they loved her but it never showed? She tried so hard, her parents never loved her and she was looking for it in anyone.

Even from her parents who used and abused her.

Taking a deep breath she stood to her feet and washed her hands before touching up her makeup.

"You're fine," she whispered to herself and headed towards the door.

Thankful that John and his wife were no longer there.

Walking through the club she headed towards the bar to get a few drinks before she called herself an Uber, she was lucky that she had her own money because she was an hour away from home just to be with what she thought was her man. That had clearly left her since she hadn't seen him.

"Keep them coming," Sapphire told the bartender and he nodded at her.

Sapphire always drank her problems away.

That was another reason why most men didn't want to deal with her, they felt it was unattractive but they never tried to get her story or why she was the way she was. They'd use her for sex because her sex was good. They'd use her for money knowing that she was a part-time model and she owned her own business in designing clothes, shoes, etc. Her name was pretty big and that's why most men used her—for their own personal gain. Each time she'd tell herself not to fall for it but she always did. Always.

"Excuse me," she felt a tap on her shoulder and she turned around.

"Yes?" She asked the woman who stood next to another woman. They both smiled at her.