1

Not edited
Sorry for any error

The weather today is calm; let's just say it's not hot or cool, just normal. As I sat outside our house's local kitchen, engrossed in washing the plates, a smile played on my lips. There was this crazy thought swirling in my mind, coaxing a smile from me.

My mom, broom in hand and poised to sweep the little compound of our house, gazed at me. It was evident she wasn't surprised by my smile; she's seen it countless times before. Sometimes, she even thinks I'm crazy. Why would I be smiling at myself just like that?

But I'm not crazy; I simply enjoy the banter with my own mind. I relish the conversations, the musings, and the wild ideas it conjures.

After finishing the dishes, I prepared for school, slipping into my worn-out school uniform and shouldering my backpack, a relic from the '90s that I've been meaning to replace.

As I headed off to school, enjoying the pleasant weather, I continued my silent discourse with my mind. With earphones in place, I lost myself in a podcast on my phone, the world around me fading into the background.

Hey, I'm Farhana, and I'm here to share a bit about my life. 😊

So, I live with my parents in Kaduna State, Ungwan Rimi. I have one elder brother, Masud, and then me, and two younger sisters, Hanan and Yusrah.

Our family is quite quirky and a tad eccentric. While we share a roof, we often feel like strangers passing by. Everyone sort of marches to their own beat, within reason, of course. It's kind of amusing, really. We exchange morning pleasantries, but beyond that, interaction is minimal. Surprisingly, we don't even argue like typical siblings. We each have our own circle of friends outside the house, and when we cross paths at home, it's like we're playing a game of pretend. Isn't that a bit odd? Well, it's certainly interesting to me. I suppose that's just how we were brought up.

I'm a dark-skinned girl, but I know I'm beautiful. I have this radiant glow that often prompts people to assume I come from a well-off family, but it's simply a gift from Allah. I have my own local skincare routine, which I take pride in. My mother always jokes that if we were wealthy, I'd be the one to empty the coffers.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm obsessed with money... okay, maybe I am a little, but who isn't? I just appreciate a touch of class and modesty, you know? Some might wonder, 'She's from a modest background, yet her skin exudes luxury. Is she pretending to be affluent?' While others might remark, "She stays true to her roots; she always speaks her truth." Then there are those who chuckle and tease, "Look at her backpack; it's straight out of the '90s."

As I reached the school, the podcast I was listening to ended, prompting me to remove my earpiece and phone and place them into my backpack. These days, phones are allowed in school, though not entirely allowed, as they say, we are in the Al generation.

As I walked into the school, I knew exactly what the students would be saying about me: "Look at her, always smiling as if being poor is something to be happy about." Sometimes I wonder if some people are mentally sound, thinking that just because I come from a poor family, I shouldn't smile. "Ya Allah."

Okay, so the rich kids in our school are just something else. While I don't know why a rich kid would come to study in a government school, given the kind of money that could take them out of this country, they still choose to study here. "Oh, please," I rolled my eyes.

The affluent kids in our school always seem to carry themselves with an air of perfection. Yet, as the saying goes, perfection is a concept unattainable for humans. Some argue it shouldn't even be in the dictionary, reserved only for God. This particular individual tends to approach life with grandiosity, but I can't entirely fault them. Money holds a sway like no other.

As for me, I don't aspire to become a famous wealthy woman; I aim to be a silent wealthy lady. Don't misunderstand me or assume it's because I haven't yet attained wealth. I have a specific reason for desiring to be a silent wealthy woman. They say money changes people—some for the better, some for the worse, but most for the worse. However, money cannot alter my character. I will act according to my intentions, regardless of my financial status. I'll reveal my reason for desiring to become a silent rich lady later in the story.

I entered the classroom and took my seat, anticipating the start of class. No assembly today. There are many things I could say about myself, but the funny thing is, I didn't even know what to title my own story. A lot unfolded—destiny, prayers, ending up with someone unexpected, someone who never noticed me before, someone who was always there. I hope you enjoy this part. See you in the next chapter.