Chap. 08: Behind The Onyx Eyes

Disclaimer: Credit for the characters (except for Kaori and Hiroshi) go to the creators of Naruto! :)

A slap. That’s what I returned. I did not kiss him back, not like he hoped I would do, not like what everyone thought I would do.

The silence deafened me. I looked around and noticed everyone staring, even Sakura and her pack of wild dogs. Sasuke was smirking, almost as if he knew this was bound to happen, almost as if he predicted it. He knew something everyone didn’t, and him smirking just proved that he definitely did not buy Naruto and I’s story.

To defuse the tension, I mustered the best laugh I could. The crowd stared at me like I had just grown another head, including Naruto. He still did not recover from the shock of coming in contact with my hand, but he did show slight concern for my wellbeing.

“Kaori-chan?” Naruto cautiously said. “Are you feeling okay?”

“I’m perfectly peachy, Naru-chan.” I replied, pinching his right cheer. “Sorry for slapping you. You caught me off guard. I guess you forgot how much I hate surprises. How badly are you hurt?”

“I’ll be okay.” Naruto is a great liar.

“Come on, let’s get you an ice pack from the clinic.” I smiled and grabbed him by the hand, roughly dragging him with me.

Once we were out of earshot, I dropped my façade.

“What were you thinking?” I snapped at him.

Naruto rubbed the back of his neck nervously. “I wasn’t thinking.”

I stopped walking, and he stopped too. We looked at each other for a while before I decided to break the silence.

“Naruto… I like you, you’re a great friend, but being in a pretend relationship with you… it has its boundaries. And you kissing me was crossing the line.”

Naruto forced a smile. “Yeah, I know.”

“Then why did you do it?” I pried, taking a step closer to him.

“Kaori…” he began, piercing my soul with his gaze. “I have to be honest with you because you deserve it.”

I gulped. I wasn’t quite sure where this conversation was heading.

“What are you…”

Naruto interrupted me by saying. “I think I’m starting to like you, and not just as a friend."

“You don’t know what you’re saying, Naruto. You’ve only met me. What you’re feeling, it isn’t real. You just got caught up by the moment, that’s all.” I chuckled nervously. “Give it a week or two, you’ll be over it.”

His face was still so serious, it was starting to make me feel nervous.

“Maybe it’s real, maybe it’s not, but I plan on acting on it.” He stated in a firm voice.

“What do you mean?”

“You may not like me now, but you’ll see, eventually you’ll fall for my charm.” Naruto then surprised me with one of his outrageous smiles.

“I think I slapped you too hard.” I laughed. His smile was contagious.

Naruto rubbed his right cheek and moaned. “You slap as hard as you kick, woman.”

I sweat dropped. “No shit, Sherlock. You have to if you live with my brother.”

Naruto raised an eyebrow. “You two fight a lot?”

“Just playful fighting.” I replied with a shrug. “Now come on, let’s get you that ice.”

~*~ 

“Don’t put too much color in, baka!” I snapped at Kiba as he attempted to blend in more colors in our painting. “Mixing in too much color will turn it to black.”

“Touchy!” Kiba replied sarcastically. “You pick the colors then!”

I growled. I don’t know why I chose Kiba as my partner in Art class. I thought with all the face paint he wore, he’d know a thing or two about painting.

“Fine, let me get some. Stay you little mutt.” I ordered at him.

Kiba mimicked my tone as I turned to leave.

The paints were located at the back of the room, and just my luck, razor back was there as well.

“It’s a pleasure to run into you again, razor back!” I grinned at him. “How’s life treating you?”

“Hn.” Was his curt reply.

I sweat dropped. “Sorry for asking.”

As I rummaged through the wide variety of paint, I somehow managed to get my foot caught between the piles of paint and trip. I yelped, preparing for the impact that never came. I opened my eyes and found myself staring into the onyx eyes I fondly recognized.

Once realizing my predicament, I quickly helped myself up.

“Thanks for… catching me.” I muttered and run off in embarrassment.

Why are my palms sweaty? Sasuke has pretty eyes. What?! No! No! No!

“Are you feeling okay?” Kiba asked as I took my place beside him.

“Of course I am! Why would you think I wasn’t?” I nervously chuckled.

Kiba narrowed his eyes at me and looked behind him, seeing Sasuke staring at us with a conflicted expression. Kiba did the only thing he was good at: handling every situation immaturely. He stuck his tongue out at Sasuke. Sasuke sneered and made his way back to his table.

“Was that guy bothering you, my love?” Kiba said in an affectionate tone.

I flinched at him. “Oi, lover boy, get your head sorted. Of course he isn’t. I wouldn’t let him.”

Kiba sweat dropped. “Such colorful vocabulary.”

I merely stuck my tongue out at him.

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing?!” I heard Kankuro yell from a few rows in front of me.

“Me?! You’re the one who spilled the paint, jerk!”

“Why you little runt!” Kankuro fumed, making a move to tackle Naruto.

I would’ve helped him, but our Sensei beat me to it. He forcefully separated the two and rewarded them with a detention slip.

“Huh… I must’ve hit him harder than I expected.” I stated with a shrug.