Chapter 8

"It's all my fault. If I hadn't crossed Rohan back then, none of this would have happened." Mayank sat on the park bench, head clutched in his hands with Ishan caressing his back.

"It is not your fault at all, ok, not at all. And it is not Abhishek's fault too. Who knew Rohan would get murdered on the next day of their fight?" Shubman comforted Mayank who had been going on about his possible role in sending Abhishek to police station. They were waiting for Abhishek who had promised to meet them there.

"Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to know if Rohan deliberately got himself killed to gain revenge." Ishan said.

"No, I don't think he did that. He was ... many things but never suicidal. He was kind of a person who believed that the world revolved around him. Narcissistic is the word." Mayank denied.

"Do you have any idea who could have done it? Like any enemies." Shubman asked.

"He had many but they weren't insane enough to murder him. They tolerated him pretty well."

"That's still a mystery to me." Abhishek materialised infront of them, seemingly already mastered the art of stalking.

He was forced to take back a few steps by the intensity of Mayank's hug who wrapped his arms around him fiercely.

"I am alright, Mayu. Actually the trip to the station was quite refreshing. You all should try it once." He joked.

"Are you done? Now, tell me the details." Ishan reprimanded.

"What, not a ‘good to see you, thank God you are okay’ hug from you too?"

"My first priority is to save your ass from landing in prison."

"They can arrest him just like that?" Shubman inquired.

"They can't, it depends on the evidence they have against him actually. So, that's why I want the details, they must have revealed something related to the case to him." Ishan pointed towards Abhishek.

"Firsthand, they told me that I can leave at any time and refuse to answer any question. Then they proceeded to ask me the same questions they asked here. But when it came to my fight with him, they asked me where I was yesterday night." Abhishek asked.

"And where were you?"

"In my home, alone."

"What, where were Uncle and Aunty?" Ishan spluttered as that was an important point to prove Abhishek's innocence.

"They left to visit some of our relatives, and would return today probably. Just to know that their son is a murder suspect. That's why, I wanted to stay the night at Mayank's." Abhishek answered.

"I thought that was a way to join me in my bed." Mayank blushed in embarrassment.

Main gira hua banda jama nich baliye

"But why were you suspected? He has numerous enemies." Shubman wondered.

"I may know something about it." Ishan said.

"What is it?"

"It's because of Sara."

"Sara, as in Sara Tendulkar?" Shubman asked, bewildered.

"Yes, as in your Sara." Ishan emphasized, annoyed by the look of disbelief that appeared on Shubman's face.

"What is supposed to mean by that?" Shubman deterred.

"That your Sara snitched against Abhishek." Ishan rolled his eyes.

"She did what?"

"She told the police that she had heard Abhishek saying that he was going to murder Rohan if he troubled Mayank again which he did on the field. Pretty dumb way to impress the guy you like by sending his bestfriend to jail, if you ask me."

"What the hell! When did she hear me say that?" Abhishek pressed.

"Remember, you told me that on our way to the field after he intentionally tripped Mayank. But how did she hear that?" Shubman was confused.

"She was probably stalking you and inadvertently eavesdropped in." Ishan enlightened him.

"But why was she stalking me?" Shubman inquired.

"Were you born dumb, or are you pretending to be one? And let's focus on the main issue here, due to Sara's involvement, Abhishek is under suspicion, he lacks a alibi but possesses a good motive for the murder. In short, he's royally fucked." Ishan contemplated.

"Is there anything we can do to help?" Mayank raised his voice for the first time since this conversation started.

"Ever played detective?"
______________________________________

"Are your brothers not at home?" Mayank peeked inside Ishan's house as he had decided to visit there.

"No, they are quite busy now. That means we have all the time we want." Ishan said while opening the door to his brothers' office where they kept some of their active case files there.

The room was initially their storage space but later it had been turned into their office where they delved into their unsolved cases. The walls were painted with a somber hue, complemented by ample sunlight, envoking a feeling of reverence. The cases were meticulously organized in chronological order from latest to oldest, reflecting their dedication in solving cases.

Ishan easily picked out the file that had arrived this afternoon and placed it on the table. Mayank shifted near him to look into it.

Unfolding the pages, Ishan halted at a particular one which was linked with a photograph of the dead body. Both grimaced at the image of the guy who's face strongly resembled a plastic surgery done on a Barbie doll by a kid who was handed a pair of scissors.

However, Ishan quickly turned over the page not wanting to look at the blood covered face a second longer. Beside him, Mayank gasped, his hand instinctively rising to cover his mouth.

Person name: Rohan Bhattacharya

Status: Deceased

Guardian(s): Manish Bhattacharya, Tanish Bhattacharya (deceased), Nibedita Bhattacharya (deceased)

He tapped his finger on a specific line,

Last person known to have seen him/her alive: Dinesh Ray, School Security Guard

"I think we got our sole lead here. There are further evidences that haven't arrived yet including the Post Mortem report as it hasn't yet been 24 hours since the crime occured." Ishan explained as he closed the file.

They both left the room, still haunted by the image of the broken boy.

"Tea, coffee, juice anything, Mayank?" Ishan offered.

"No thanks. My appetite has been killed for today."

"How did you know it was Sara who snitched about Abhishek?" Mayank inquired as he took his seat on the couch.

"I asked Surya Bhaiya, the police officer who came to our school today. I have known him since he was preparing for his IPS exams, he can never say no to me. Perks of being cute." Ishan said.
______________________________________

"Take this and don't tell anything about my involvement to anyone, okay?"

"But Sir, what if the police ask me since I was the last person to see him alive?

"You don't speak anything about me till the end and the money doubles. Just stay quiet."

"Or you will be quietened."

A/N:- Hello guys, hope you all are doing well.

Mere zindagi main lawde lag chuke hain, bahut kathinaiyo ke praschat ye likha hain. I know this is a short chapter but this is all I can write for now.

Updates will not be frequent from now onwards (Bol to aisi Rahi hoon jaise do din main upload karti thi)

Goodbye and take care, and yes please go study your academic work. You will only secure good marks in English if you read ffs.