8| Killed

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Killed

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 8: Killed (Kai's POV)

An agitated sigh left me as I tossed and turned in my bed for the billionth time. The clock kept ticking, and time kept passing. Within the next few hours, the sun would be up... and I would still be here, restlessly awake. 

It took every ounce of restraint within my body to remain professional and cooperate with Rose last night. An entire twenty-four hours had passed, and yet, for some reason, glimpses of last night were still replaying in my mind—glimpses of every moment when all I wanted to do was snap her pretty little neck for getting in my way at work. 

Letting out a breath, I shifted to glance at the time on my phone. Four AM. 

At some point, between murderous thoughts and a few other ones, I managed to get just above three hours of sleep until I had to wake up and get ready for work. 

Unbuttoning my grey suit as I stepped out of the car, I tossed the keys to our building valet, offering him a curt nod as I headed upstairs. My footsteps naturally slowed when I took in the employees running around hastily as I stepped out onto the top floor of the building that was Warner & Co.'s office. 

Agitation surged through my veins as I felt someone collide straight into my back. I took a breath in annoyance and turned to face them while loosening my tie. 

A set of boxes stacked on top of one another, barely contained in someone's arms, stared back at me. "Sorry, Mr. Warner!" an employee squeaked, hiding behind the boxes. "I'm so sorry," she muttered again before quickly running away. 

Why the hell is the office such a mess? 

"One day," I heard my father scoff. It practically boomed off the walls on this entire floor. "One day Kai was gone, and that was all it took for Warner & Co.'s employees to prove how pathetically useless each one of them is," he thundered. 

I came to a stop at the end of the hallway, watching everyone evade and dodge him as he marched down the hall. People were practically plastered against the walls, trying to blend in and go unnoticed by my father. "Is this what our company stands for, Margaret?" 

"No, sir. Of course not," Margaret, his assistant, replied as she struggled to read his schedule out to him without being interrupted. 

He stopped abruptly in his tracks to glare at her. "That wasn't a real question, Margaret." 

"I'm sorry, sir," she whispered, ducking her head. 

He resumed his march and demanded, "Tell me. Where am I headed?" 

"You're headed for your breakfast appointment at Nova. The table is booked for ten o'clock." 

He let out what seemed like a breath of relief upon sighting me. "You're late," he said, patting my shoulder before brushing past me. "Handle this place, will you?" 

"Of course. That's the sole purpose I serve, Father," I said dryly. 

He ignored me. "Who am I dining with, Margaret?" he asked on his way into the elevator.