4| Distraction

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Distraction

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 4: Distraction (Kai's POV)

Victory only tasted so sweet when I had stolen it from Rose Chen's lips. Just as I had last night, just as I would for all my nights to come. 

We weren't the only ones at war last night, yet the feud between the two of us was the fiercest. We went back and forth for several minutes, bidding everything we had on that one dagger, waiting to see who would give in first. 

I hadn't planned on going to war for something so insignificant, so trivial, something that only held beauty as its sole power. 

But Rose wanted it, for whatever unfathomable reason, she wanted it. I couldn't remember the last time I'd seen her desire something so desperately. Once I had, I simply couldn't let her have it. 

If it hadn't been for Dominic, she would have fought me to my death for it but he made the mistake of stopping her and I'm sure that was something he paid the price for later. 

"You're late," my father announced the moment I stepped foot past the double doors and entered the dining room. 

I turned to face him once I'd closed the doors behind me and tilted my head slightly in thought. "Better late than never," I replied, crossing the room to where he sat at the mahogany table which glittered with silverware and delicate China dishes. One wrong move, and they'd be shattered on the ground in millions of pieces. 

"Don't try to charm me, Kai. It doesn't work," he said dryly, narrowing his eyes at me as he pulled his glasses further down his nose, his gaze following my movements. 

"All the more reason for me to keep trying, Dad," I breathed out, settling into one of the chairs moments before my mother strolled in. I held my father's gaze as I asked, "You wanted to see me?" 

Leaning back in his seat, he said, "Yes. It's the weekend. Although I'd see you in the office on Monday..." He poured himself a glass of water. "This couldn't wait." 

I eyed him for a beat before shifting my attention to my mother as she took her seat, her lips pulled together tightly, her expression as blank as it always was. 

Never in my life had I seen a smudge on that red lipstick of hers or a single hair out of place on her head. Not one wrinkle in her clothes, not one mark on her heels. She always strived for pure perfection and never once settled for anything less. 

"You have my attention," I replied, "I'm listening." 

My father opened his mouth to begin, only for no words to escape. 

Something is definitely off. 

A faint sigh escaped him as he pinched the bridge of his nose before diverting his attention to my mother. "June," he called her, "is this really necessary?" 

Her spine steeled more than I ever deemed possible. "I knew you couldn't do it, Adrian," she said to him before placing her napkin in her lap before finally uttering those Godforsaken words. "There's someone I'd like you to meet, Kai."