The Phone Call

Latoya

         I stood outside my door as the guy who told me his name was Kenneth place the last camera up it took him two months to get to me, so I've been staying with Tressa until he was able to come by. He had installed six cameras, two in the back, two in the front, one downstairs and one upstairs. This was part of his premium package that he offered for eight hundred dollars. "I promise after I install these, you won't have another break in ever. The alarm system I install free of charge is top of the line".

         I smiled and said, "thank you so much I feel much safer with the cameras and alarm system. I just can't believe after all this time of me living here someone breaks into my home".

         Kenneth replied, "nowhere is to safe Latoya, and for a woman like you who's pregnant and living alone you need all the security you can get".

         "How did you know I was pregnant"? I asked because the big baggy jogger outfit I had on you couldn't tell. And not one time did I mention this baby in my belly to this man, so how did he know?

He came down the ladder and once we were face to face, he says to me "huh"?

Again, I asked, "how did you know I was pregnant"?

He chuckled and said, "you have that glow my wife had when she was pregnant with our kid".

         Kenneth wasn't not ugly man, he reminded me of that nigga from the FX show Snowfall. So, to hear he was married turned me off and quickly changed my mind about flirting with him.
         "I have a glow, no one has told me that before even though I wasn't pregnant for long".

He smiled and said, "pregnancy is beautiful, especially sharing it with the person you created it with".

         I laughed sarcastically and said, "this baby wasn't planned at all. I don't think the father would care if he knew about this baby or not".

         Kenneth just stared at me with this blank stare for a minute. It was giving the movie "GET OUT" so I asked, "is everything okay"?

         Then he snapped out whatever he was thinking and said with a half-smile "yea. Uh you're all set up. I need to get going I have other clients". The way he said it and the way he was moving fast it was just so odd, but I had no time to watch this man as he prepared to leave because my cell phone was ringing inside the house.

         Thinking it was Tressa I didn't even bother to look at the caller ID. "Hello"? I answered plopping down on the couch where I had front row seat to this man leaving my porch to go to his next client.

"Latoya"?

When I heard the voice, my fucking mouth dropped.

"Kemar"? I said in a low voice.

He chuckled a deep chuckle and said, "did you miss me, baby"?

Confused I asked, "how did you get my number"?

"I have my ways; you don't sound excited to hear from me".

I cleared my throat and said, "I am, I'm just shocked that's all".

         Kemar was quiet for a moment, and then he says "I'm coming to the states soon, maybe within the next four months and I want to see you. I will fly to you".

         I was just turning four months, so four months from now I'd be eight months and about to fucking giving birth. "Kemar, I don't know if that's a good idea" I said trying to change his mind.

         "Why not, you have someone else"? He asked.

"No. There is no one, I'm just busy and I won't have time for you".

"Baby I need to feel you again. I know you miss me; I can sense it through the phone. Baby I hear it all in your voice, you need to feel and see me just like I do you. This is why I'm making this call so you can prepare for my arrival. I'm coming to you Latoya and don't you run from me baby, please don't run from me".

         I sigh and say, "four months you say"?

"Yes. I have some business lined up here on the island, but once that's over with I'll take my vacation and come to you".

Dryly I answered, "okay, fine".

Four months from now I should be ready to tell him about this baby. I mean if I don't tell him, he'd see for himself and put two and two together.

Taking me out my thoughts he said, "I just sent you something on apple pay because I miss you baby".

         Pulling my phone down and opening a message he started I saw he sent me thousand dollars. This was enough to pay the other half to Kenneth for the security system and buy the baby something, and then another thousand came through and he said now on speaker, "anything you need I gotchu just ask".

         "Kemar, this is..." he stopped me and said, "nothing is ever to much for me. Look I got a meeting starting in a bit, I'll call you later. Take care of yourself Latoya".

         When we were off the phone, I rubbed my belly and said, "damn I have four months before this man sees me pregnant and all. Fuck maybe I need to tell him beforehand".

         As I started the message the doorbell rang, save by the bell I said in my head. I got up and made my way to the door opening it my aunt just walked her happy ass right on inside.

         "Latoya, Donald was arrested last night". Looking at her face I could see why, but I asked anyway.
"Why"?

She sucked her teeth and said, "look we got into it at the neighbor's house because I interrupted the poker game. One of the girlfriends to one of the guys that was there called the police. We were drunk, he ain't mean to fight me".

         I never liked my aunt boyfriend Donald. He always gave me pedophile vibes, and my suspicions were amplified when I saw him and Fernae around each other once she was out of high school. The two flirted like they were the couple and not Donald and my aunt. When Fernae got that abortion at nineteen I knew it was Donald baby and the two times after when she aborted them, I figure for sure they were for Donald but my aunt she couldn't see that shit. She was to in love with a no-good ass man to see pass his bad ass flaws.

         "If you coming to ask me for money to bail him out I can't".

She placed her hands on her hips and said, "you can but you don't want to huh? You rather an innocent man sit in fucking jail"?

         "Auntie please look, I can't help you I have my owe shit to worry about like this baby growing in me. I'm pretty sure Fernae a find a way to get him out, she always does right"?

         "I don't want her getting him out okay. It must be me, I got him in this mess I must get him out. I don't want my daughter getting my man out".

         I sigh and say, "I'm sorry I'm not digging in my pockets for Donald figure something else out".

Like a little child she storms to the door and just as she was opening it her phone rings. It was Fernae tell her mother she had just got Donald out of jail and that they were going to Jersey. Going to jersey without her, that shit was crazy because instead of saying I'll go you don't have to, to her daughter she just said, "okay call me when yawl get there".

         Then she had the audacity to turn to me after hanging up the phone and said, "he's out no thanks to you". All I could do was shake my head because ma'am is you fucking serious right now, my aunt couldn't get this fucking club if it bit her in the fucking nose. This was no way I wanted to be over no man, this is why it pained me to have gotten pregnant by a man I fucking barely knew. Fuck I couldn't talk because my life was fucked up too, just in a different way.