i i i

A few days after the reaping, the tributes finally arrived at the Capitol. Calpurnia found herself at the zoo with her brother, so she could introduce herself to Circ.

Coryo had already met Lucy Gray. Tigris had encouraged the twins to meet the train at the station. Only Coryo had complied. Calpurnia hadn't wanted to get in trouble for breaking the rules. Circ could wait.

Part of her wished she had gone. The entire school was raving about Coryo and his tribute. Lucy Gray was the talk of the Capitol. How had such an unfavorable assignment turned into a spectacle, Calpurnia didn't know. But she did know that she was jealous of Coryo, for he had classmates fawning over him, while Calpurnia had to deal with Urban following her like a lost puppy.

It took Calpurnia a moment to squeeze through the crowd of Capitol citizens to the bars of the monkey enclosure. One of the mentors was already there: Sejanus Plinth. The boy was trying to encourage the tributes to take the food that he brought. That was kind. Calpurnia wished she would have thought to bring something for Circ. Not that they had much food to spare at home.

When Sejanus saw the Snows, he waved them over. Coryo joined him, but Calpurnia started to wander over to a different part of the enclosure. She spotted Circ and Teslee, sitting on a rock together in matching olive green jumpsuits, speaking to each other rapidly.

"Here, take some sandwiches for them," said Sejanus. He passed Calpurnia three sandwiches and three plums. "Some for you too."

"Thank you," said Calpurnia.

"Be careful, Callie," said Coryo.

"There's nothing to worry about," complained Calpurnia before moving to the bars closer to the two tributes from District Three.

Teslee looked up first, eyeing Calpurnia quizzically. Her eyes widened when she saw the food in her hands. She nudged Circ to get his attention before getting up to join Calpurnia at the bars.

"Who are you?" asked Circ.

"Calpurnia Snow," said Calpurnia. "I'm your mentor."

"Like that blond guy over there?" asked Teslee. "He was at the train station earlier."

Calpurnia nodded.

"Who's my mentor then? Are we both with you?" asked Teslee.

"One of my classmates will," said Calpurnia, trying not to grimace as she thought of Urban. "Don't worry, you'll be taken care of."

"Why isn't he here then?" asked Circ.

Calpurnia shrugged. "Probably just busy."

The two children seemed skeptical, but neither questioned Calpurnia further about the other District Three mentor.

"Here's your dinner," said Calpurnia, passing the food to the tributes.

Circ took his portion and sat down, but Teslee scrambled off, going back to sit on the rock again.

"She's a little shy," explained Circ.

"Did you know her back in District Three?" asked Calpurnia, before pulling a piece off of her sandwich and taking a bite. She made a mental note to thank Sejanus for the food. It had been a while since she'd eaten roast beef.

"We were in the same class," said Circ. "Shame that the two smartest kids in our school got reaped the same day."

Calpurnia nodded in agreement.

"Are you related to the guy you came here with?" asked Circ.

"Yes," said Calpurnia cautiously. "Why?"