ONE: Unexpected News

The dim glow of Essie's bedside lamp cast long shadows across her room as she sat on her bed, her hands trembling as she stared at the small plastic stick in her grasp. The word "pregnant" blinked back at her in bold letters, sending a surge of panic coursing through her veins. How could this be happening? How could one moment of carelessness shatter her carefully constructed world?

Her mind raced with a whirlwind of emotions - disbelief, fear, shame. She couldn't bear to think about what her family would say, especially her grandfather, the pastor of their small church. He had always been a pillar of strength and moral guidance in her life, and the thought of disappointing him filled her with a sense of dread.

Essie had grown up in the church, surrounded by the comforting familiarity of hymns and scripture. Her parents struggled financially with seven kids but her grandfather had been there to pick up the pieces and help provide basic necessities for her family. She owed him everything, and the thought of tarnishing his good name with her own recklessness was almost too much to bear.

But as the reality of her situation sank in, Essie knew that she couldn't hide the truth forever. Sooner or later, her growing belly would betray her secret, and she would have to face the consequences of her actions. With a heavy heart and the support of her mother, she made the decision to confide in her grandfather, knowing that it would break his heart but unable to bear the burden alone any longer.

The next morning, Essie summoned the courage to knock on her grandfather's study door, her heart pounding in her chest as she waited for him to answer. When he opened the door and saw the tears streaming down her face, his expression softened with concern.

"Essie, what's wrong?" he asked, his voice gentle but filled with worry.

Unable to meet his gaze, Essie bowed her head with her hands shaking as she tried to gather herself. Realizing she could not bring herself to say it, she burst into tears. For a moment, there was silence as her grandfather examined her body language and furrowed his brow in disbelief. Although no words were said, he immediately knew what was happening.

"Is this true?" he finally asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

Essie nodded, unable to speak past the lump in her throat. She had never felt so ashamed in her life, knowing that she had let down the one person who had always been there for her.

Her grandfather's face fell, his disappointment palpable and anger rising. "Get out."

Tears welled up in Essie's eyes as she tried to apologize, but her words caught in her throat. She knew that she had betrayed his trust and brought shame upon their family, and the thought was almost too much to bear.

After what felt like an eternity, her grandfather finally spoke again, his voice filled with resignation. "I can't condone this behavior. You'll have to leave."

The words hit her like a physical blow, leaving her reeling with shock and disbelief. "But...where will I go?" she whispered, her voice trembling with fear.

"You will move back with your parents" her grandfather replied, his tone firm but tinged with sadness. "I cannot have you here. This is not an easy decision, but you leave me no choice."

With a heavy heart, Essie gathered her belongings, preparing to leave. She felt like a stranger in her own skin, adrift in a sea of uncertainty and regret. But as she walked out the door, she knew that she couldn't hide from the consequences of her actions forever. She would have to face them head-on, no matter how difficult or painful it might be.