Chapter 17

Sultan found a job in a factory and worked relentlessly for hours however the shoulder he had broken on their honeymoon had begun to bother him. He no longer felt able to perform to the best of his ability. His physical health soon became a problem, interfering with his ability to work, so much so that fearing being fired he resigned.

After coming to England it felt as though there wasn't a job he hadn't tried. He'd worked at travel agencies, restaurants, dry cleaners, supermarkets, he'd done delivery jobs; security jobs and factory jobs. And in all of these places he'd taken on many roles.

Sultan sat on their bed with his face in his hands the entire room felt congested with his stress. Aaliyah looked at him and could confidently say she saw storm clouds form above him, she wafted them away with her hand and sat next to him. He wore a white sweater with black dress-pants, his silver watch decorating his wrist.

"Sultan?"

"Mhm" he grumbled.

"Sultan are you okay?"

Aaliyah took sultans hands in her own looking at his face. He kissed them softly.

"I just feel like I'm back on square one"

He took her hand and placed it on his cheek holding it.

"What do you mean?" Aaliyah looked at him with her sparkling eyes.

"I just" he paused recollecting his thoughts.

"I keep moving from one job to the next but there's never any stability, I feel like I've wasted my potential"

Aaliyah frowned and placed her forehead on his.

"It'll work out, have tawakkul, things are so different from how they used to be, trust that they'll get even better"

Sultan nodded kissing her hand.

"You'll find a good job inshaallah and in the meantime you'll get to spend more time with Fatima and her future sibling."

Sultan smiled at his wife. A burden seemed to have been lifted from his chest.

"You're right"