Afterwards

November 5, 1923

Four days later, an engine came into Tidmouth yard that Thomas and Edward had never seen before. He looked exactly like Eagle, but with black wheels and the number 5 on his tender.

"James" asked Thomas. "Is that really you?"

"Of course it is!" chuckled James. "How do you like my new paintwork? I'm just like my brother now!"

"That indeed!" said Eagle from nearby. "You look splendid!"

"I know," James replied flirtatiously. "I'm ready for my coaches now."

But it was Thomas was coupled up to Annie and Clarabel.

"We're Thomas' coaches now," said Annie.

"And he's got his very own branch line, too," added Clarabel.

As Thomas puffed towards the big station, Edward followed him at a short distance.

"Off to see the world now, Thomas?"

"Yes, Edward, I am."

Gordon was resting at the platform, it had taken his passengers a long time to board when Thomas came up and whistled, "Wake up, Lazybones! Really useful engine coming through!"

And Gordon knew that Thomas had not changed a bit.

"Oh, the indignity."

Now Thomas is as happy as can be. He has a branch line all to himself, and puffs proudly backwards and forwards with his two coaches all day.

He is never lonely, because there is always some engine to talk to at the junction.

Edward and Henry stop quite often and tell him the news. Gordon is always in a hurry and does not stop, but he never forgets to say "Poop, poop" to little Thomas, and Thomas always whistles "Peep, peep" in return.

Even at the end of the line he is never lonely, for there is a very old engine on a siding covered with creepers. The engine noticed Thomas' number when he came in.

"You must be the new number 1! My name is Glynn."

"I'm Thomas, You must be one of the Coffee Pots."

"Of course," Glynn chuckled. "Just be sure to look after the branch line, Thomas and wear that number with pride!"

"Don't worry, Mr. Glynn, I will!" said Thomas. "You can count on me!"

As he settled into his new shed, Thomas wondered about Glynn's fate as well as his own. Was he a piece of history for all the world to share, or was he a piece of machinery waiting to be thrown away when the time came? The Island of Sodor would be lost for so many years and would come back to life as a living museum dedicated to the golden age of steam locomotives. Yet, as with the First World War and his friendship with Wilbert Awdry, the final opponent was time. Technological advancements continued as steam engines would later be replaced by locomotives that ran on diesel fuel and electricity for higher speeds and luxurious travels across the globe. Far away on the mainland and abroad, the many steam locomotives that have survived into preservation attested not only to the history and railways of Sodor, but also to the human elements.

But all in all, Thomas lived on as a subject of matter, as a cultural phenomenon, as a reminder of great optimism and living proof that even the littlest of engines can overcome the greatest of accomplishments.