Thomas Saves The Day

October 30, 1923

Thomas worked hard in the Wellsworth yard now. He knew that he wasn't as clever as he had thought. Besides, he wanted to learn all about trucks and coaches to be a really useful engine.

Every day Sir Topham Hatt came to the station to catch his train, and he always said "Hullo" to Thomas.

"Remember, don't be impatient, Thomas. You can never be as strong and fast as Gordon, but you can be a really useful engine. Don't let the silly trucks tease you."

There were lots of trucks in the yard - different ones came in every day - and Thomas had to push and pull them into their right places.

But on a siding by themselves were some trucks that Thomas was told he "mustn't touch."

There was a small coach, some flat trucks, and two queer things his driver called cranes named Judy and Jerome.

"That's the breakdown train," he said. "When there's an accident, the workmen get into the coach, and the engine takes them quickly to help the hurt people, and to clear and mend the line. The cranes are for lifting heavy things like engines, and coaches, and trucks."

On the first day of November, Thomas was in the yard. He met Edward with a train of coal trucks.

"The Fat Director is coming by this afternoon to see how you're getting on," he said.

"I'm getting on all right now," Thomas asked. "Aren't I?"

"Of course you are!" remarked Edward. "I think you nearly know about trucks as I do now."

Suddenly, they heard an engine whistling, "Help! Help! Help! Help!" and a goods train came rushing through much too fast.

The engine was James and he was frightened. His brake blocks were on fire, and smoke and sparks streamed out on each side.

"They're pushing me! They're pushing me! They're pushing, pushing, pushing me!" he panted.

"On! On! On! On! On! On! Faster! Faster! Faster! Faster!" laughed the trucks; and still whistling "Help! Help! Oh dear! I don't want to go any faster! I want to stop!" poor James disappeared under a bridge.

"I'd like to teach those trucks a lesson," said Thomas the Tank Engine and he hurried after James to make up for a long overdue apology for refusing to help him pull his special train when he first travelled to Sodor 8 years ago.

With every ounce of speed he had, he caught up with the brake van, intent on stopping the runaway train himself.

"Couple me up! Couple me up!" he shouted to the guard. "I need to slow James down!"

The guard complied and bought out a shunter's rope. He was trying to slip it onto Thomas' front coupling, but it was difficult to do so when Thomas moved back by a few feet.

"We mustn't give up!" he urged the guard. "We have to try!"

But it was too late, James came to a bend in the line, his fast speed had gotten the best of him and he fell right off the tracks!

Thomas stopped just in time to see the damage done. The brake van and the last few trucks were on the rails, but the front ones were piled in a heap. James was in a field with a cow looking at him, and his driver and fireman were feeling him all over to see if he was hurt.

"Never mind, James," they said. "It wasn't your fault. It was those wooden brakes they gave you. We always said they were no good."

"Edward was right!" Thomas thought aloud. "Trucks can run an engine right off the rails! I'd better go and get help!"

He came running into the yard. "James is off the line - the breakdown train - quickly, this is an emergency!" he shouted.

The cranes, Judy and Jerome woke up.

"Judy?"

"Jerome?"

"Emergency!" the cranes said together.

"Right, we're ready!" shouted Judy.

"Crew, up!" shouted Jerome.

So Thomas was coupled on, the workmen jumped into their coach, and off they went.

Thomas worked his hardest. "Hurry! Hurry! Hurry" he puffed, and this time he wasn't pretending to be like Gordon, he really meant it.

"Bother those trucks and their tricks," he thought, "I hope poor James gets treated well after this."

When they got to the field, Thomas pushed the breakdown train alongside. Then he pulled the unhurt trucks out of the way.

"Oh - dear! - oh dear! Don't push me! Go gently!" they groaned.

"Serves you right. Serves you right," puffed Thomas crossly.

When the men put other trucks on the line he pulled them away, too. He was hard at work puffing backwards and forwards all the afternoon.

"This'll teach you a lesson, this'll teach you a lesson," he told the trucks, and they answered "Yes - it - will - yes - it - will," in a sad, groany, creaky, sort of voice.

They left the broken trucks and mended the line. Then with Judy and Jerome's help, they put James back on the rails.

"Have you got him at the front there, Judy?" asked Jerome.

"Yes, Jerome," replied Judy. "Ready to lift."

James was lifted safely onto the track and Sir Topham Hatt came to make sure that everything was all right.

"Well done, Thomas!" he said kindly. "Now I'd like you to take James to the Steamworks while Edward takes the breakdown train away. I'm sure you know where it is?"

"Yes, sir. I do, sir. It's where I was painted blue 8 years ago!"

Sir Topham Hatt chuckled. "That's right."

So Thomas coupled up to James and he helped him to the Steamworks.

That night, the other engines were very happy to see Thomas indeed. He was given a hero's welcome by Henry, Gordon and Eagle, their drivers and firemen clapped for him and even Edward was the first to give his thanks.

"Well done, Thomas. Today you really were the best engine."

Even Gordon seemed impressed.

"What you did was terrific!" added Henry.

"Really useful! That's what I say!" said a voice. It was Sir Topham Hatt. "James shall have some proper brakes and a new coat of paint, and you Thomas, due to your unselfish bravery and heroism, shall have a branch line all to yourself."

"My own branch line?! Oh, thank you, sir!" said Thomas happily.

"Does this mean he won't be our station pilot anymore?" asked Gordon frantically. "Who will look after our coaches? Tender engines are not meant to shunt."

"That's because you have no experience in shunting," said Sir Topham Hatt. "There are tender engines that do shunt on the mainland and abroad. So in the meantime, you, Henry and James will have to fetch your own coaches until I can get another small engine like Thomas."

Before Gordon could argue anymore, Sir Topham Hatt turned on his heels and walked proudly away.