Chapter 1

Two years later. . .

Slowly, Gabriel untangled himself from the covers and slid out of bed. In the dark he searched the floor for his clothes. He dressed and then crossed the room to the door.

"Where are you going, Gabe?"

Gabriel swore under his breath. So much for sneaking out. "Go back to sleep, Greta," he said.

"Not without you." She switched on the bedside lamp and sat up. "Come back to bed and cuddle with me."

"I don't cuddle," he stated, "and I'm going home."

"Stay, please," she said, slipping out of bed. She met him at the door, pressing her naked body against him. "Stay and I'll make it worth your time."

Gabriel had no desire to stay with her. He backed up and said, "You should go back to bed before you get cold."

Greta sighed, disappointment crossing her face. "Call me later, will you?"

"I think it's best we go our separate ways," Gabriel said quietly. "It's been fun but-"

"No." Greta grabbed his arm. "I love you, Gabe. Please don't-"

"You don't love me, Greta," he interrupted. "You love what I can give you."

"That's not true," she said.

"How can you love me when you know nothing about me?" Gabriel said.

"Whose fault is that?" Greta snapped. "You won't tell me anything about yourself. You won't let me in."

"That's because I never intended for us to become serious." Gabriel sighed at the heartbroken expression on her face. "Look, Greta, you are a beautiful and kind woman. The reason I don't want to see you anymore has nothing to do with you. There is nothing wrong with you. This is about me."

"You're broken," she muttered. "I've always known it."

And there was only one woman that could make him whole again. It was just his luck she didn't want him. Gabriel kissed Greta's forehead. "And that's why I can never be what you need, so I'm going to stop wasting your time and go. Take care of yourself."

"You too," she whispered, tears swimming in her eyes.

Gabriel left the room.

The phone ringing shattered the silence and woke Cassandra from her sleep. Reaching out, she turned on the lamp and seized her phone from the nightstand. She squinted at the caller ID. The number was unfamiliar. She accepted the call.

"Hello?"

"Cass, it's Dad," Frank Barnes said. "Listen, honey. I need you to come and pick me up."

Cassandra sat up, tossing the covers aside. "What's wrong?"

"I'll explain everything when I see you," he said.

"At least tell me you're all right."

Mr. Barnes assured her he was okay. "Pick me up at The Whiskey Barrel. I don't want you coming inside. Call me when you get here and I'll come to you. Drive safe, honey."

Cassandra ended the call, quickly threw on a sweatshirt and jeans and hurried downstairs. In the foyer, she snatched up her purse and keys.

After locking up, she ran to her car. She was in a hurry to get to her father. The Whiskey Barrel was not a place she was comfortable with him frequenting. Why he was there, she shuddered to find out.

Cassandra gasped when she saw her father's face. His left eye was swelling shut, his upper lip was bloody and swollen, and he had a laceration on his temple.

"What happened to you?" she demanded to know.

Mr. Barnes closed the passenger side door and replied, "There's something I need to tell you." He swallowed hard and then cleared his throat. "I owe money to a loan shark. He's given me forty-eight hours to come up with his money. If I don't-" He gestured at his face. "This will look like child's play compared to what he'll do to me."

Stunned, Cassandra gaped at him. "A loan shark, Dad, seriously? What possessed you to take money from a loan shark?"

"I - I made some bets that didn't go in my favor," he muttered, rubbing his jaw.

"You're gambling," Cassandra hissed. "How long has it been going on?"

"For about six months."

Cassandra pinched the bridge of her nose, sighing heavily. "I can't believe this. You need help, Dad. I'll find you a support group. I hate to ask this. How much do you owe the loan shark?"

"$50,000," he admitted.

Her breath caught in her throat. She didn't have that kind of money sitting around. Her job paid well, but not that well. "I don't have that much money."

Mr. Barnes reached for the seat belt. "Let's get out of here."

Cassandra started the car, shifted into drive, and headed for the exit. "Do you have anything of value that you can sell to pay off the debt?"

"No," he responded. "I've sold off everything I can. Do you know anyone that can loan you the money?"

Gabriel popped into her head and she gritted her teeth. He was the only one she knew that had fifty thousand dollars. The man was obscenely rich. "I know someone," she said reluctantly.

"I thought you might," Mr. Barnes said. "Who is it?"

"Gabriel Dorsey," Cassandra uttered coolly as she pulled out into traffic.

"I'm familiar with the Dorsey's," Mr. Barnes murmured. "Very prestigious family. Do you think he will loan you the money?"

Cassandra knew Gabriel would, but there would be strings attached. "I will find another way to get the money."

"If you don't want to ask him, I'll do it," Mr. Barnes volunteered.

"No." Cassandra gripped the steering wheel hard enough her knuckles ached. "You have forty-eight hours to come up with the money. I'll think of something." She had to, because the last thing she wanted was to be beholden to Gabriel. 

A/N: I'm sorry for the short chapter. I have a lot going on right now and finding the time to write isn't easy. I'll try to make the next chapter longer. Anyway, thank you all for your support. I appreciate it. Hope you enjoyed the chapter. :)