chapt. 4

Buck and tommy have been together for nine months now, and it's been absolutely amazing. They've spent every day together, except for when they had a 24-hour shift. Although, they would still call a lot and text. Well, today was one of those days that they had to. Tommy had the day off, but buck didn't. He had a 24-hour shift, and he was halfway through it. Just twelve more hours left to go, he told himself. Buck called and messaged tommy every chance he got. It was pretty busy today, but not too-too bad. They've definitely had worse.

Buck was on the phone with tommy in the loft, as the team was in the bunkers, resting. "I miss you." Buck whispered as he was on the phone with him. He just saw him this morning before his shift. It's only been twelve hours. He shouldn't miss him that much, right? "I miss you too sweetheart. But I will see you tomorrow morning." Tommy replied. Even though buck couldn't see him, he could tell tommy had a warm smile as he said that. "That's too far away." Buck frowned and tommy could tell just based on his tone. "Don't frown, it will be here before you know it." he replied in a soft tone. "How'd you know I frowned? You can't even see me." Buck asked letting out a soft chuckle. "Because I know that tone Evan. And was that a small laugh I just heard?" Buck could feel the smug smile on his boyfriend's face. "It might've been." Buck chuckled again, this time a little louder. He couldn't help but smile when talking to tommy. Every time buck was in a bad mood, tommy was always there, comforting him, and cheering him up.

just as tommy was going to respond, the bell went off. Buck sighed and stood up. "I love you, I got to go. I'll call you later, okay?" He said as he quickly ran down the stairs. "Okay. I love you, be safe." Tommy replied. "I will try." Buck smiled softly and hung up as the team rushed to get geared up.

The call was a house fire. The whole house was in flames by the time they arrived. The parents had made it out of the house, but their seven-year-old daughter was still in the house, trapped in her room. The team very quickly rushed out of the truck and ambulance and started getting to work. Buck and Eddie climbed the ladder with the hose, to get the fire down from the outside, enough for buck to be able to climb in and out of the little girl's bedroom.

Once they got it down enough for him to climb in there, buck rushed in their fast and immediately found her laying on the floor. Buck rushed over to her to check her pulse but didn't feel one. He very quickly started cpr, which he knows he shouldn't have done. Flames were in her room, and they were spreading fast. But buck didn't care. He didn't know how long she was laying like that and didn't want to waste another minute. He kept trying and trying to get her pulse back, as the flames spread more and more. And he knew, he knew, that he needed to get out of there now before it got worse, but he couldn't. He couldn't give up, not yet. so, he kept trying. Bobby radioed him. "Buck, what is taking so long? You need to get out of there now." Buck ignored the radio as he kept trying. The team radioed him more, until buck looked up and realized that the flames were beginning to cover his exit. So, he quickly grabbed the little girl, and rushed out with her. He ran down the ladder as quick as he could with her, laying her on the gurney.

buck quickly went back to cpr. He knows that's not his job, and that he should've left it to hen and chimney. But he already started, and he needed to finish. He kept at it, but there was still nothing. Hen and Chimney pushed him off and took over. Buck just stood still watching. "There's no burns or anything. She most likely got so scared and had a panic attack, leading to a heart attack." hen looked at him as they kept trying. The parents were close by, but not to close because they needed room to work on her. Hen and chimney kept trying and trying. And eventually called it. They tried everything they could but got nothing. The parents heard and immediately ran over to her, crying. Buck just froze. He knew this was probably his fault. If he just found her and got her out, handing her over to them immediately, she would probably be alive right now. But instead, he took matters into his own hands and decided to start on her himself. It was a heat of the moment thing, and he didn't actually realize he was making it worse.