PEDAGANG KELILING

Occasionally, the Pedagang Keliling wandering traders would journey up to the village of the Tumandok-ati Aboriginal people for trading. The villagers held grand celebrations to welcome them.

The Kepala Suku and the villagers held these traveling merchants in high regard and greatly respected them, whether they were humble peddlers carrying basic goods or wealthy traders accompanied by a retinue of alipin bearing luxurious items.

The villagers viewed these pedagang keliling as if they were famous figures and were treated like important visitors or esteemed buyers who arrived to exchange, buy, or bargain for the unique treasures and goods of the village.

Upon their arrival, the traders presented a treasure array of riches and delightful surprises from distant lands, stating that these goods, "pinakatalagsaon nga mga palaliton," are the rarest of commodities and claiming that these items, "gikan sa tibuok kalibotan ug sa kinatumyan sa yuta," came from all over the world and from the ends of the earth!

Such as magical carpets from Anatolia, intricately painted ceramics by the monks of Tubo (Tibet), paper knife-edged umbrellas made by ninjas from the land of the rising sun, sandalwood fans from the elves of Hindustan, and shimmering textiles from Siam. They also offered precious silver and golden trinkets, as well as herbal teas, liniments, and remedies for various ailments, all available for barter.

And each item purchased or sold had a unique story behind it; the more extravagant the purchase, the more intriguing the tale, making the trading experience more exciting.

The villagers gathered around the merchants, eagerly examining these exotic wares, all agog with fascination and wonder. Some just stared quietly, mesmerized; others laughed in amazement at the strangeness of it all. "Dili katu-uhan," unbelieving what they were seeing with their own eyes, as everyone marveled at the treasure of exotic goods on display.

Seeing these rare items left a lasting impression. The experience filled them with pride. It broadened their knowledge and left them feeling privileged. Many considered this event a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and sparked conversations that lasted long after the merchants departed.

In addition to goods, the traders also brought news, stories, and information from other villages they had passed by and visited, sparking curiosity and conversation among the villagers. As well as sharing a plethora of knowledge and fantastic titillating tales of their experiences from their travels, captivating the villagers with stories of distant lands and the unknown, the strange and the bizarre things they've seen.

Storytelling was vital for the survival of the Tumandok-ati people by shaping their societal values and promoting unity among kin. The villagers cherished storytellers for their ability to pass down traditions and lessons. And who shared tales during festive evenings?

Every evening of the Pedagang Keliling's visit, the villagers and traders engaged in festivities, including bonfire dancing, animal roasting, and performances by the village maidens gracefully gyrating their shapely forms to the beat of the drums or the warriors muscular bodies sweating while performing acrobatic feats in their honor. Culminating in storytelling sessions that captivated the gathered audience.

The following day, in an open-air market, the villagers proudly displayed their own unique, odd, and unusual items and treasures, including exotic birds, monkeys, lizards, and snakes; rare plants, such as wild orchids and perfumed flowers; beautifully woven baskets and valuable spices like garlic from Ayu's Tatang, in the hopes of trading them with the merchants. 

The day was filled with lively bartering and haggling, creating a bustling atmosphere.

After the excitement, the merchants departed quietly, leaving behind memories of a joyous and culturally enriching experience for the villagers.