LONGING TO BE FREE

She has reached marriageable age.

At 16th harvest, or taon, Ayu Indah has grown more and more desirable; her ethereal beauty is well-defined, taller, and womanly, with long flowing hair past her hips.

She has acquired both counting and weaving skills, resulting in the production of beautiful baskets that she is proud of. She and her Tatang have also made significant profits from trading with the pedagang Keliling. More importantly, she has collected and saved enough wealth to travel.

But her unhappiness dampened whatever spark of pleasure she had inside. Horrified at the prospect of being compelled to marry the chieftain's son, Tokoh.

She became increasingly frantic and dreaded the impending marriage, which had already been long overdue.

"Hapit na ang inyong kasalan." One day, while gently combing her long, flax-colored hair in a heap on the banig mat where they sat on the floor, Inang unknowingly reminded her of her upcoming wedding. "Shortly soon, the babaylan will suggest an auspicious day to set the date."

Then Inang went on to explain to her what the series of symbolistic rituals performed during a kasalan meant.

Ayu's purple eyes flashed with wrath as she listened, reflecting her fear of being forever bound to someone she despised and thought was beneath her.

She devised a scheme in her despair to escape, be free, and be among her own kind.

Even though she believed Dalikamata kept a watchful eye over her, she wanted to run away but didn't know where to go.

She was afraid to go alone because, among the natives, there were always talks of threats from the bajak laut, sea pirates, and slave traders marauding the coastal villages of the darat, seaside, and even up to some places in the hinterlands. Attacking villages and abducting scores of women, girls, and children to be sold as alipin.

She longed to be free. "I will find a way..."

Lost in her thoughts, Ayu barely grasped what Inang was saying until it was too late: "Motambong tah para makahibalo ka unsay imong madahom.

Inang had decided to bring her along to attend a family wedding celebration so she would know what to expect!