Chapter 1: Vita

Vita stared at the seraph's lifeless body. Its stormy gray eyes flickered with an unknown feeling, and it crawled over to the dead being. It slowly blinked, and gently nuzzled their torso, making a low noise in their throat. Of course, there was no reply, and Vita made a soft noise, nuzzling them again. They tilted their head, confused, and then it dawned on them.

Vita closed their eyes, and for a moment they almost seemed to mourn the loss of their once-ethereal parent. They didn't shed tears, nor whimper, or cry, but they began to shiver, longing for the warmth that they would never truly get. They laid down next to the seraph, cuddling up next to the now-tepid corpse. Vita's shuddering breaths echoed through the trees surrounding them, lulling them to sleep in a shadowy, painful dream.

[The next morning]

It was a beautiful morning, and the golden sunlight shone through the canopy above, illuminating everything below it with little shining spots. In terms of weather, it was a lovely day to go for a walk in the woods. But the newborn entity now lurked in these woods, still trying to figure out what to do next...

Vita woke up from their haze with nothing but an empty stomach and an ice-cold body by their side. They slowly sat up, dizzy from hunger and the events of the night before. For a brief moment, they wanted nothing more than to be embraced by their parent, to be warmed up and told everything would be alright. Then they remembered everything, and made a little noise of sadness.

Vita looked around, blinking in the newfound light. With the morning's glow, they could see their surroundings much better. It was a gorgeous day, but Vita didn't care about that whatsoever. The only thing they were looking for was something to eat, something to combat these newfound feelings of melancholia. They saw nothing suitable to consume in their immediate vicinity, so they slowly began to crawl away from the seraph's corpse. Vita was about 10 feet away from it when they looked back at the bloodied body they had unintentionally left behind.

They made one final noise of mourning, then kept going and never looked back.