Prologue: The Seraph

On a warm and peaceful June night, in a small, unknown town, all was quiet and well. The town's residents were sleeping soundly, awaiting the next day, blissfully unaware of what would soon befall them...

Only a few miles away from this town, in its wooded outskirts, what appeared to be a shooting star was hurtling towards the ground. It hit the earth like a silver rocket, and a beam of light shot into the night sky, illuminating it for just a moment. It left a large crater roughly the size of a dump truck, with smoke quickly pouring out of it.

When the smoke cleared, a seraph lay in the crater. It was a beautiful being, its six wings twitching as it slowly regained consciousness. Its halo hung on its head, dimly flickering a bit. It slowly opened its eyes, and instantly remembered why they were here. It had to get up, get away from here, before the thing came...

It struggled to its feet, and looked around the area. There was nothing around for a few miles, and the woods lay in front of it. The perfect setting for what would soon happen.

A sharp pain rippled through its body, and its knees quivered for a few moments. It set its hand on its stomach, and took a deep breath in an attempt to calm itself and the creature writhing inside of it. Breathing heavily, it slowly began to walk towards the woods.

The night was warm and calm, but the seraph felt cold as ice. It entered the woods after a few minutes, the trees seeming to close in around them. The tall oaks stood high, obscuring the stars and moon and striking an ominous feeling in its heart.

With every step, the seraph grew weaker, and its vision began to blur. The creature squirmed intensely, ready to burst out at any moment. In front of the seraph stood a huge and mighty oak, its roots going deep into the ground and its branches stretched into the sky. The seraph collapsed beneath it, knowing this was the end.

It began to shake uncontrollably, and let out a small whimper as the creature began to rip open its insides. Their soft white skin seemed to explode in a bloody mess, and yet the seraph still said nothing, its eyes slowly growing dimmer.

An unholy screech tore through the air as the creature pushed its head out of the seraph's middle. It opened its eyes, blinking a little at the dim light above. It slowly crawled out of the gory hole it created, its six limbs quivering and twitching.

It shakily turned around to face the seraph, which was near-death and fading fast. As the seraph gazed upon the being that had killed it, a small tear went down its face. Its mouth began to open, and it uttered its final words.

"...why did you do this to me...?"

And with that, it passed on, the tear still hanging on its cheek.