Chapter 7: Mangetar

PURVI'S POV

PURVI'S POV

As he slid the ring onto my finger, the hall erupted in applause, and with his hand extended, I felt all the eyes on me, waiting for me to return the gesture.

Only a handful of people were present, some close friends and neighbours, it's not like we didn't want to invite our relatives it's just that the engagement is happening after two days of finalising, for which it was impossible for most of them to attend the ceremony as most of them either live outside India or out of state, same with Aarav.

I gazed upon the ring in my grasp, the lustrous gold band with its petite diamond sparkled brilliantly under the light. I gulped the knot that was forming in my throat.

'There's no turning back now'

You can still cancel this if you want.

'No! No! I can't! What about Papa? H-he will have to listen to taunts again!'

Then what about you? What if you disappoint the new family you're going to?

'What if- No! I'll have to move on! I can't hold on to my past forever right?'

Moving on doesn't mean marrying someone. You can still move on in your life with the memories of your past.

'Yeah I can, but-'

I don't have any memory of my past that I'll cherish.. They haunt me.. They suffocate me..

"Purvi, what happened?" My mother's voice broke the battle with my inner turmoil, I shook my head taking a deep breath before finally sliding the ring onto his ring finger with shivering hands. There's no turning back now.

Another round of applause erupted, our parents congratulated us then one by one people came forward to congratulate us. My hands were still shaking. I don't know why.

Suddenly my hand was embraced with a larger and warmer one. I knew it was his but I didn't pull back from his hold as I knew I needed it, to soothe my anxiousness.

"Do 'we' need to leave, Mangetar?" He whispered tenderly into my ears.

[Mangetar: fianceé]

What's with his voice?? It's the first time I'm hearing him talk like that.

Like so tenderly????

Is he the same arrogant bastard???

I looked at him being perplexed "What?" He asked, being addled then I could see his face changing from being confused to his regular arrogant face.

"I mean do you want to leave?" he asked with his 'normal arrogant voice'

"No! How can I leave my own engagement?? What will people think?" I said.

" Log gaye ghas charane, if you want we can leave, Mangetar." He said