chapter seventeen

Will

What was that?

Mike had kissed him. Like initiated a kiss. Like Mike Wheeler had kissed Will Byers.

That was weird.

Does Mike like him? Obviously. Literally otherwise why would he kiss him?

"Are you okay honey?" Joyce asked, squeezing Will's arm.

Will snapped his head up, "Yeah I'm fine."

They were in the kitchen. Will must have subconsciously followed Joyce in there whilst he was lost in thought.

Joyce smiled. She turned away and walked towards the cupboard, pulling out a mug, "How was Mike?"

"Mike was fine." Will spluttered, heat rising to his cheeks.

Joyce turned around to look at Will, a bemused expression on her face.

"I'm going upstairs." Will spat out, harsher than he intended.

Before he could leave the room he heard the front door open and footsteps patting towards the kitchen.

"Hi mum!" Jane smiled leaning against the doorframe.

She turned to look at Will and raised an eyebrow, "Why do you look like that?"

"Like what?" Will felt his face go even redder.

"I don't know," Jane squinted, as if she was trying to analyse him, "Like you've done something."

"What would I have done?"

"I'm not sure." Jane tilted her head.

"Okay I'm going now." Will announced, leaving the kitchen and walking up the stairs.

Does Jane have some sort of sixth sense?

Will sat down on his bed. The soft, yellow sheets crumpling under his weight. He sighed and put his head in his hands

"William."

Will looked up and saw Jane stood in the doorway, her arms crossed.

"I know you did something." She continued.

"I didn't do anything Jane." Will said, slightly irritated now.

"Mum told me Mike just left." Jane smirked, "Does he have something to do with it?"

"Mike doesn't have anything to do with it because I didn't do anything." Will insisted.

Jane nodded slowly, "Sure." She walked down the hall and into her own bedroom.

---

The next day at school went by in a blur. All Will could really think about was that Mike's lips had been on his. Like properly on his. Will was still sort of dazed by it.

He hadn't talked to Mike. Not properly. Not about anything that mattered. Just trivial things. Most of their conversations that day had gone along the lines of:

"Hi."

"Hi."

"You alright?"

"Yeah."

"Cool."

"Cool."

Will wanted to talk to him. He really did. But he never got a moment alone with him and that made everything a lot harder.

He wanted to talk to someone. Theo maybe. Just someone that could help, or tell him what to do. But he thought that wouldn't be fair on Mike. What if it had been a spur of the moment thing? What if Mike didn't even like guys? What if he did but didn't want anyone to know?