chapter eight

Will

Will woke up with a start. He sat up and grabbed his phone, it said the time was 3:27am. Will sighed, he slid out of bed and walked over to his window.

He opened the window and took a deep breath. He smiled softly and closed the window. He walked to the bathroom and cleaned his teeth before walking downstairs, into the kitchen. He picked up a nectarine and threw it from hand to hand.

Will sunk his teeth into the fruit, it tasted slightly minty.

He heard the stairs creaking and turned towards the doorway, a few moments later Jane appeared.

"Where's mum and dad?" She asked, sinking into a seat.

"They got caught at the station overnight." Will said, taking another bite of the nectarine.

"Oh ok." Jane said, looking down at her lap.

"Is everything ok?" Will asked.

"I think I might break up with Mike." Jane said, not looking up.

"Oh."

"There's just no connection anymore." Jane said

"Yeah I get that." Will replied. He walked over to the bin and placed the stone of the nectarine inside. He went to the sink and washed his hands before walking over to Jane and hugging her.

"I'm here for you, you know that right?" He said into her hair.

"Yeah I know." She mumbled, hugging him tighter.

---

Mike

Mike was sat in math class. He didn't know what he was feeling. He'd never felt that way before.

He looked over at Will. The brunette boy was sat at the desk in front of his. He was talking to Dustin and laughed.

His laugh.

His laugh was like a million stars shining bright. Like sweet childhood memories. Like sweet honeydew and wild jasmine.

The bell rang, signalling the end of the school day and Mike shook the thought from his mind. As everyone filed from the classroom he felt a tap on his shoulder.

He turned around and saw Jane standing there. He hadn't talked to her since the night at her house.

"Can we talk?" Jane asked with a small smile.

"Yeah of course." Mike said, following her as she left the classroom and walked towards her locker.

"I've been thinking about this for a little while and I think it's best for both of us." She said. Mike could sense what was coming but still urged her to continue.

"Mike I think we should break up." She said, breaking eye contact.

Although Mike knew what was coming he still felt a tinge of pain. A lump formed in his throat.

"Yeah." Mike said, he pursed his lips.

Jane looked back up at him, her doe eyes glittered.

"I'm truly sorry Mike, I love you, I really do but I believe that we are much better off friends." Jane smiled softly.

Friends.

Mike didn't know what friends were supposed to be anymore. What being friends with someone was supposed to feel like.

"Yeah you're right." Mike said, rubbing his thumb against the palm of his hand.

"Ok then, I'll see you later." Jane said turning around and walking away.