The Comfort Of My Own Bed

*****

*Yawn*... sleepless nights really do drag on, don't they?

*****

Today was just two weeks before Rosa's birthday, and she made plenty of effort telling me that it was Lee's birthday just two days before. Like I cared? I hated when people I loved, told me about people they loved, I still do.

Rosa spent most of the evening discussing with me how amazing it would be to lay under the stars, and that Lee had convinced her to go and sleep outside, under the stars with him. How cute. I was glad that she was happy with him, but a whole night, alone, with him? I didn't like the idea of that, I was worried as to what they might get up to. A part of me, albeit a small part, wanted this night to not ever happen, just so Rosa would have to stay at home and be safe from his wondering hands.

A few nights past before Saturday rolled around, the night that Rosa was going out to see Lee. The night I had been dreading. I barely spoke to her before she left to go and see Lee at 7pm, and just past 9pm she popped up on MSN. I figured she had signed in to rub it in my face at how beautiful the stars were, or how warm she was in Lee's warm embrace, but it was of a much different tone.

She told me how he had forgotten to ask his aunt and uncle if he could stay at his friends house, and when she phoned him, he had no idea what she was on about. What a heartless bastard! How could you not remember something like that? She then preceded to tell me that she had already text home saying that she had made it to Sam's house safe. Sam was the girl that Rosa had lied about going to visit, to get her parents to allow her to stay out with Lee. I really didn't know what to say about it, but I did want to tell her one thing - "Karma is a bitch" - but that seemed inappropriate for the moment. I replied to her

*What are you gonna do?

*I really don't know, Michael... What can I do?

*Go home?

*But I already told my mother I got to Sam's house and then they'll punish me for lying to them.

*You could say Sam forgot to ask her parents?

*Sam wouldn't forget. Besides, if I turned up and she'd simply forgotten to ask, they'd let me stay. If I turned up now, they'd just tell me to go home.

*I guess you're right...

*Looks like I'm spending the night under the stars after all...

Yeah it does, doesn't it? Maybe you shouldn'tve planned such a stupid thing, with such a stupid boyfriend.

*But you can't...

*I'll have to.

*That's stupid, you can't.

This reminded me of when I went to visit one of my ex-best friends, Levi. We had planned to get drunk with a few friends, and I expected to be able to sleep at his house overnight. He lived a good 20-30 miles from my house, so if that didn't go to plan, I'd have to phone my mother. At around 11pm he announced that he had work in the morning, and that I couldn't stay over, literally 10 minutes after I had told my mum that I could definitely sleep at his house. This was the exact same situation that Rosa was in, except the fact I wanted to go home, and was drunk, and it was the 17th of December, and the temperature was below freezing. I decided that because I had all night to waste, I may as well attempt to walk home. I made it around half way before giving up, I could've walked further, but after drinking 14 cans of Strongbow, I decided that sleep would be a better idea. Luckily for me, there was an abandoned pub just up the road, I wondered over to see if any of the doors were unlocked, or unlockable, but they all had metal plates over them! I found a nice dark corner, away from anyone that might walk past, and curled up before having the worst nights sleep of my life. I slept for about an hour in total, in between waking up. 8am rolled around, and I decided it time to get up. That was a struggle, after my joints had seized during the harsh winter's night. A 30 minute walk, trip to McDonalds and two busses later, and I had arived home, just in time to go to sleep before mum woke up. I lied and told her that I had left Levi's really early, and that his mum had dropped me home, she totally believed me. I knew exactly how Rosa was feeling right now.

*There's no doubt about it, I have to. There's nothing else I can do, really.

Me and Rosa spent the rest of the night on MSN chatting away about nothing, before she alerted me to her ever-draining battery, and that it would be more efficient for us to switch to texting. After a mere 20 minutes of texting, she told me that she had to go, to save her battery. That was it, no contact to anyone and all alone for the rest of the night? I really did feel bad for her, but it served her right.

The following morning, at around 10am, she text me, letting me know she was home alright, the relief washed over my body, as I told her to get some real sleep. That was an eventful night over, I just wish I knew how she really felt....

*****

Sorry for the huge story in the middle, got kinda carried away

*****